• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gpu upgrade options?

Soldato
There's definitely something in what your saying, but wasn't it also AMD who were intentionally lowering supply of their cards to prop up the pricing?
I think it's more case of managing the production vs shipping vs sales.

From financial point of view, it would make sense to shift more cards than to make a bit more money on each cards here and there in terms of profit.

There's no incentive in a rush to sell-out the cards (at lower price) if production and shipping can not keep up.

Associate
OP
Well shucks... I've placed my order for the 4070 ti OC thingy and it should be with me tomorrow at some point, courtesy of OCUK (of course) along with some Haribo hopefully (face it, this is what I'm really buying here).

Thanks all for the sage wisdom and help in getting me just shy of a grand poorer!

Associate
Would it matter much that I have a custom cooling loop on my CPU that is running a D5 pump and a shed ton of RGB? All my fans are RGB, my CPU block is RGB and my reservoir is RGG... 9 fans in total (7 RGB).
Had a look at the D5s on OCUK and they mostly seem to be rated at around 23W, which is max consumption at full speed.
Can't find current draw figures for RGB in fans but I would be surprised if they exceed around 4-5W on max brightness white lighting with the fan spinning at full speed (for most fans anyway, some high RPM fans can draw more!)

Regarding the cable for your new card, you'll need a 2 or 3x 8pin to 16pin adapter, but that should be suppleid in the box

Associate
OP
Had a look at the D5s on OCUK and they mostly seem to be rated at around 23W, which is max consumption at full speed.
Can't find current draw figures for RGB in fans but I would be surprised if they exceed around 4-5W on max brightness white lighting with the fan spinning at full speed (for most fans anyway, some high RPM fans can draw more!)

Regarding the cable for your new card, you'll need a 2 or 3x 8pin to 16pin adapter, but that should be suppleid in the box
Cheers, thanks a lot for doing that, very much appreciated.

Worst case scenario is I could always get a new PSU, but this one is 2 years old and I bought it as it was small (its one of their small factor models) as I was having a tough time fitting anything larger in the Corsair 5000D case. The length of a standard PSU along with the cables was just a nightmare, definitely not what I am used to having gone from a monolithic Corsair 800D case! The newer PSU's that have the ports on the side may have been a nice option at the time, but hey ho!

Thanks again!

Soldato
Well shucks... I've placed my order for the 4070 ti OC thingy and it should be with me tomorrow at some point, courtesy of OCUK (of course) along with some Haribo hopefully (face it, this is what I'm really buying here).

Thanks all for the sage wisdom and help in getting me just shy of a grand poorer!

Did you really spend nearly a grand on a 4070ti? - Which is in reality only really a 4060ti.

Too much for that card I'm afraid.

Associate
OP
Did you really spend nearly a grand on a 4070ti? - Which is in reality only really a 4060ti.

Too much for that card I'm afraid.
Yes? Although once I trade in my current card it will be more in the region of £800 ish and a further £300 reduction from a bit of spare cash I had on the side made it a smaller figure again... Yea, its crazy, but I feel better about getting rid of my old card in a useful way. My last card got thrown straight into the bin 3 years ago. Sure, I could try and sell them on somewhere, but thats a load of faf and a gamble anyway. Perhaps I'm just a fool...

Most likely I will be here again in the next 3 or 4 years, but such is the way of PC gaming...

Out of curiosity, why would you say its a 4060ti?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes? Although once I trade in my current card it will be more in the region of £800 ish and a further £300 reduction from a bit of spare cash I had on the side made it a smaller figure again... Yea, its crazy, but I feel better about getting rid of my old card in a useful way. My last card got thrown straight into the bin 3 years ago. Sure, I could try and sell them on somewhere, but thats a load of faf and a gamble anyway. Perhaps I'm just a fool...

Most likely I will be here again in the next 3 or 4 years, but such is the way of PC gaming...

Out of curiosity, why would you say its a 4060ti?

You could have got a 15% faster card for less.

It's a 4060ti, because this 4070ti is a cut-down card relative to cards of the last generation. Last gen's 60ti card cost around £400MSRP, NV are now selling you the same "class" card for a grand, dressed up as a 70 class card.

Associate
OP
You could have got a 15% faster card for less.

It's a 4060ti, because this 4070ti is a cut-down card relative to cards of the last generation. Last gen's 60ti card cost around £400MSRP, NV are now selling you the same "class" card for a grand, dressed up as a 70 class card.
Fair enough.

I suspect you may be talking about the 7900xt for the extra 15%? I know it sounds daft, but then the pricing on that is pretty much the same too, albeit I'm getting the 4070ti for cheaper because of the trade-in.

Its entirely possible I've just made a bad decision, but time will only tell.

Soldato
Fair enough.

I suspect you may be talking about the 7900xt for the extra 15%? I know it sounds daft, but then the pricing on that is pretty much the same too, albeit I'm getting the 4070ti for cheaper because of the trade-in.

It make senses to go with the 4070ti 12GB if Nvidia is the only option for your trade it. If you do get stuttering due to running out of vram in Hogwart Legacy, try to play around with lowering the quality of the Raytracing to see if it could keep the vram usage from maxing out.

Fun fact (or not so fun fact) about the 4070ti 12GB is that- as mentioned spec wise it's really at most a 60ti class card. After the launch of the very expensive 4090 with great success, Nvidia announced the 4080 16GB and the "4080 12GB" with ridiculously high pricings. But the "4080 12GB" was not really a 4080, it was not a simple case of having less vram, but also hugely cut down comparing to the 4080 16GB, and there was clear intension to deceive the consumers. Nvidia got called out by lots of tech/hardware reviewers, and they ended up "unlaunched" the 4080 12GB, and later rebranded it to what we know as the "4070ti 12GB" today.

The 4070 12GB was announced with a MSRP of $799, being supposing $100 less than the $899 7900XT. But most people in the know are already all too familiar with Nvidia's "fake MSRP", and in reality the 4070 12GB always ended up being the same if not higher price than the 7900XT 20GB. So despite the rebranding, people still ending up pretty much paying "4080 12GB" price for the 4070ti 12GB...nothing really have changed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fair enough.

It's the same price? Kinda, but one had 8GB more VRAM for longevity and is 15% faster ;)

I'd have gone through the faff of selling your old card and then bought the best option, already you're being advised in Hogwarts about insufficient VRAM and lowering settings, that's before you've even got the card! nevermind 3-4 years down the line.

1K for GPU with only 12GB VRAM is terrible value, plus the fact it's a cut-down card to begin with. However you factor in sold cards etc, it's still a grand you're spending on it there's no getting round that.

The 4070ti is a terrible terrible card for the money, it's better than the 7900XT only in RT, a gimmicky feature at best, and one which your 4070ti will struggle with in 2 years if the 3080 10GB is anything to go by. I say "2 years" but that's already happening with RT in Hogwart's...

A grand on a card that before you ever had it in your hands, is having its best selling point (RT) compromised already. :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It's the same price? Kinda, but one had 8GB more VRAM for longevity and is 15% faster ;)

I'd have gone through the faff of selling your old card and then bought the best option, already you're being advised in Hogwarts about insufficient VRAM and lowering settings, that's before you've even got the card! nevermind 3-4 years down the line.

1K for GPU with only 12GB VRAM is terrible value, plus the fact it's a cut-down card to begin with. However you factor in sold cards etc, it's still a grand you're spending on it there's no getting round that.

The 4070ti is a terrible terrible card for the money, it's better than the 7900XT only in RT, a gimmicky feature at best, and one which your 4070ti will struggle with in 2 years if the 3080 10GB is anything to go by. I say "2 years" but that's already happening with RT in Hogwart's...

A grand on a card that before you ever had it in your hands, is having its best selling point (RT) compromised already. :confused:
Oh for goodness sakes! Don't do this to me now!

I've taken the plunge and now you have me panicking with your common sense approach! Its likely too late as I believe I have just received an email to confirm it has been shipped...

So let's say I decided to change my mind and get the radeon instead. Which would I be going for?

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh for goodness sakes! Don't do this to me now!

I've taken the plunge and now you have me panicking with your common sense approach! Its likely too late as I believe I have just received an email to confirm it has been shipped...

So let's say I decided to change my mind and get the radeon instead. Which would I be going for?

If I was going to spend a grand on a 4070ti, then I'd have happily spent a grand on this - by all accounts the best 7900XT.

Associate
OP
If I was going to spend a grand on a 4070ti, then I'd have happily spent a grand on this - by all accounts the best 7900XT.

Thanks, I've managed to cancel my order, just need to wait for the cash to come back.

In the meantime, can I assume this will also be fine on a 750w PSU?

Anything I should know with radeon cards?

Soldato
Anything I should know with radeon cards?
Ignore the FUD ;) I've got the XTX version of this card and its awesome personally I wouldn't touch the 4070ti 12gb is too small its planned obsolescence by Nvidia they know in a few years it'll be too small for the newest titles so people will be forced to upgrade. In Hogwarts it nears 14gb for me and if I run at native i.e. no FSR and its closer to 16

Soldato
Thats interesting as the 4070 ti was what I was looking at. I figured my £230 for my 2070 super made the price tag a little less insulting...

That said, I have the issue of having a 750w PSU, which I think is too low for a 4070 ti or anything above for that matter!
4070 Ti amp extreme would be my choice. £869 elsewhere.

Last edited:
Soldato
What monitor do you have? I just got the AW3423DGF, had originally planned to only spend upto £500 on a 27inch to replace the Dell u2711 but ended up spending like £300 over budget, I’m trying to decide on a new gpu as well as currently have a evga 1080ti ftw.

Associate
OP
What monitor do you have? I just got the AW3423DGF, had originally planned to only spend upto £500 on a 27inch to replace the Dell u2711 but ended up spending like £300 over budget, I’m trying to decide on a new gpu as well as currently have a evga 1080ti ftw.
I have an Acer Predator Z35P 35inch curved ultrawide and its gorgeous.

After looking at it, does it matter that it only supports Nvidia Gsync? I mean, if I go radeon then I lose out on that feature right. Not that I think I've used it... isn't it just a form of v-sync?

Associate
I got a 4070 ti on a 750w corsair 5950x. It's fine. Happy with my 832.99 purchase. Wouldn't have been able to go more both financially and psychologically.

Last edited:
Associate
Im trying to upgrade from my gtx1660, really wants a 4070ti , I dont believe in the FUD around its lower memory im sure it will be fine, there is also DLSS,

AMD cards run too hot for my liking.

Oh and the 4070ti amp extreme is bad imo, cooler doesnt cut it when compared to the competition

Back
Top Bottom