• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gpu upgrade options?

Associate
Im trying to upgrade from my gtx1660, really wants a 4070ti , I dont believe in the FUD around its lower memory im sure it will be fine, there is also DLSS,

AMD cards run too hot for my liking.

Oh and the 4070ti amp extreme is bad imo, cooler doesnt cut it when compared to the competition
Mines a Asus tuf....they are huge.

Associate
OP
Mines a Asus tuf....they are huge.
I had the ASUS tuf on order funny enough.

The comments regarding the VRAM made me think otherwise which is why I cancelled it. The Radeon 7900 seems superior, however I've also looked at various articles and benchmarking and it seems to state otherwise, or at least too close to tell.

The 4070 ti would at least allow Raytracing, which admittedly is a gimmick, but it's a nice gimmick to experience I would think. I've run hogwarts on ultra raytracing very briefly and it was amazing.

Of course, it comes down to the 12gb vs 20gb VRAM, which is a huge jump and potentially means the 4070ti will be out of fashion in a couple years whilst the radeon will be fine fore more. Wouldn't be so bad if it was just 2gb more, but 8?!

Associate
I had the ASUS tuf on order funny enough.

The comments regarding the VRAM made me think otherwise which is why I cancelled it. The Radeon 7900 seems superior, however I've also looked at various articles and benchmarking and it seems to state otherwise, or at least too close to tell.

The 4070 ti would at least allow Raytracing, which admittedly is a gimmick, but it's a nice gimmick to experience I would think. I've run hogwarts on ultra raytracing very briefly and it was amazing.

Of course, it comes down to the 12gb vs 20gb VRAM, which is a huge jump and potentially means the 4070ti will be out of fashion in a couple years whilst the radeon will be fine fore more. Wouldn't be so bad if it was just 2gb more, but 8?!
Went from 3060ti to a 4070ti, think next upgrade will be a 5080 in a couple of years.

Associate
OP
Went from 3060ti to a 4070ti, think next upgrade will be a 5080 in a couple of years.
Sounds similar to my initial plan of going from my 2070 super to 4070 ti. I figured the next jump would be a 60 series if not later...

Then all this business about the radeon 7900 being far superior cropped up and I'm well confused. Got a 4070 ti halfway to my house, albeit cancelled to return to OCUK and I still have no idea which way I should go!

Associate
The 7900xt is significantly smaller than the 4070ti, and it only requires 2x 8 pin connector which helps with cable management (at least the reference card is anyway)

At the end of the day go for what you wish, either card will see you through the next generation.

I've just bough a 6800xt for £600, that's already 2 years out of date, I couldn't find the extra cash to get the newer card.

Soldato
Sounds similar to my initial plan of going from my 2070 super to 4070 ti. I figured the next jump would be a 60 series if not later...

Then all this business about the radeon 7900 being far superior cropped up and I'm well confused. Got a 4070 ti halfway to my house, albeit cancelled to return to OCUK and I still have no idea which way I should go!
4080 if your worried about Vram and want raytracing perhaps

Associate
If you are looking after raytracing performance I would have suggested saving a bit and getting the 4080 as a minimum.

The 4070ti is a ripoff plain and simple.

Otherwise it's the XtX train for me (Find More FPS > Raytracing everytime).

Oh yah, OP your 3900 will bottleneck the 4080.... Time to start saving for a 5800x3D.

Associate
OP
If you are looking after raytracing performance I would have suggested saving a bit and getting the 4080 as a minimum.

The 4070ti is a ripoff plain and simple.

Otherwise it's the XtX train for me (Find More FPS > Raytracing everytime).

Oh yah, OP your 3900 will bottleneck the 4080.... Time to start saving for a 5800x3D.
I'm after a GPU that will allow me to play games on as high a setting as possible (preferably ultra right now) with raytracing enabled on a 1440p ultrawide resolution (21:9), all whilst running on a 750w PSU and Ryzen 9 3900.

I'm happy to upgrade my CPU later in the year and the PSU also, but I can't do all 3 right now.

Associate
I'm after a GPU that will allow me to play games on as high a setting as possible (preferably ultra right now) with raytracing enabled on a 1440p ultrawide resolution (21:9), all whilst running on a 750w PSU and Ryzen 9 3900.

I'm happy to upgrade my CPU later in the year and the PSU also, but I can't do all 3 right now.
I’d suggest you get the most gpu for your money if you need a card now (avoid the 7900XT as only £100 more gets you a better card) eg 7900XTX (agree get the Reference or Founders model at Overclockers UK: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/brands/sapphire) as it’s as fast at Raster as the 4090 sometimes and has over 20gb vram which should last ages at 1440p and even 4K. If you can lower settings and make the 2070 super last a bit longer ie 2024 Sept/Oct (lol next year!) when the 50 series or RX 8000 series launches then that would be better and most bang for buck. The latter is what I will be doing.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I’d suggest you get the most gpu for your money if you need a card now (avoid the 7900XT as only £100 more gets you a better card) eg 7900XTX (agree get the Reference or Founders model at Overclockers UK: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/brands/sapphire) as it’s as fast at Raster as the 4090 sometimes and has over 20gb vram which should last ages at 1440p and even 4K. If you can lower settings and make the 2070 super last a bit longer ie 2024 Sept/Oct (lol next year!) when the 50 series or RX 8000 series launches then that would be better and most bang for buck. The latter is what I will be doing.
Cheers, this is good advice and gives me something to think on!

Associate
OP
No problem. Sorry to add more for you to mull over but you are spending £1K so better make it the best decision you can for your use case.
Nah, this is great to be honest. I'm not in a huge rush I think I just got carried away with the trade in deal making it seem better than it was and the fact that I know I can afford it now as opposed to later on, which is less certain!

Just gutted I missed out on my haribo!

Soldato
Nah, this is great to be honest. I'm not in a huge rush I think I just got carried away with the trade in deal making it seem better than it was and the fact that I know I can afford it now as opposed to later on, which is less certain!

Just gutted I missed out on my haribo!

One thing to consider if you do wait till '24, is that NV and AMD seem intent on massive price increases every gen. It's a minefield. But every option offered is better than buying a 4070ti.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
One thing to consider if you do wait till '24, is that NV and AMD seem intent on massive price increases every gen. It's a minefield. But every option offered is better than buying a 4070ti.
That's definitely worth keeping in mind, cheers.

I feel like I'm pigeon holed into nvidia though because of my G-sync monitor, or is that splitting hairs?

Associate
That's definitely worth keeping in mind, cheers.

I feel like I'm pigeon holed into nvidia though because of my G-sync monitor, or is that splitting hairs?
Splitting hairs really. It’ll be compatible with Freesync on AMD too (if it says Gsync compatible without a hardware module) You won’t notice.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Splitting hairs really. It’ll be compatible with Freesync on AMD too (if it says Gsync compatible without a hardware module) You won’t notice.
Thing is, my monitor is G-Sync only by the looks of it. Or at least it doesnt advertise freesync with it... Does that change anything?

Back
Top Bottom