• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU Upgrade to AMD

Associate
My first post here.

A bit of a long story but a couple of years ago I built a new gaming PC. I wanted a 4k monitor and went for an ASUS MG28UQ. On the GPU side I have almost always stuck with Nvidia so went with the ASUS GeForce GTX 1070. I realised this monitor was not G-Sync compatible but went ahead anyway, thinking I don't need to use G-Sync.

Anyway, I have always had a problem when playing games in 4K whereby I can be playing for hours and then the PC would suddenly start crashing. It happened again yesterday. I was playing "Per Aspera" and have racked up 12 hours playing time since Thursday and then it crashed. It will now keep crashing unless I turn the resolution down to 1880p or lower. The same with many games over the last two years.

So I'm thinking it's about time I changed the GPU as changing the monitor to a G-Sync 4k will be quite expensive. So I'm going to bite the bullet & buy an AMD GPU...but which one? I know very little about performance differences between Nvidia & AMD.

Can someone advise me an equivalent AMD to my GTX 1070 or something a bit better please up to £600.

Associate
Welcome to the forum! :)

Now is a very bad time to upgrade, as there are severe stock shortages across the board, not to mention massively inflated prices.

That being said, I would recommend either an RX 5700 XT or an RX 6800, whichever is available and within your budget. I currently have the former powering a 4K monitor.

Soldato
For 4K you will need at least an RX 6800 or 6800XT. The monitor you have has a freesync range of 40Hz-60HZ according to the Asus website which is quite limited but would be ok if the gpu stays within the range. The 5700XT can also manage most games in that fps range if you turn some details down.

If you went for another monitor I'd recommend a decent 1440P 165Hz Freesync/Gsync compatible screen such as the LG 27GL850 or Dell S2621DGF. A very nice experience compared to the old 60Hz.

Associate
Thank you very much for the advice guys. At least I know what to get, but I think I'll wait until prices stabilise again.

I don't think that will be for a very long time, if ever. Prices didn't stabilise after the mining craze ended, which is how we've arrived at £600+ GPUs, an almost unheard of price - outside of professional cards - before 2017. VAT could well rise next year too, given the insane deficit our country is now facing.

If you find something within your budget, and it's in stock, then I wouldn't wait.

Associate
OP
So I've decided to upgrade my monitor instead and stick with my 1070 for now. Do you think this monitor will work with my GPU...
Samsung Odyssey G7 Curved Gaming Monitor, 27 Inch.

Edit: I changed my mind and bought the LG 27GL850. I'll upgrade my GPU in a few months time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom