• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU upgrade

Associate
Hey folks, I am going to upgrade my failing 6950 with something a bit more up to date, I have been looking at a GTX 970 but would like other peoples opinions on the matter my budget is currently around £300 give or take a few p either side.

Cheers in advanced

Associate
Hey folks, I am going to upgrade my failing 6950 with something a bit more up to date, I have been looking at a GTX 970 but would like other peoples opinions on the matter my budget is currently around £300 give or take a few p either side.

Cheers in advanced

Owning both Gfx cards mentioned so far (as in my sig) ;) Up to 1080p & SLI - GTX970.
1440p upwards - 290X.

Bear in mind some 290X can be quite warm. Reference 290X cards have been known to hit 90+C. Mine is a Powercolor PCS+ with BEAST cooling and idles at 28c and max 62c. :D

Associate
OP, it would help if we knew what resolution/how many monitors you are using?

I.E Quite a few of the reviews for the Sapphire 8GB 290X state the 4K results are a disappointing improvement with it having that extra 4GB. :mad:

Associate
I'd go for the 290X Matrix.

290X Matrix is a good deal but you get "The Witcher" free with the MSI GTX970 for the same price. Possible other reasons for GTX970 is it consumes less power, newer technology as 970 came out Sept 2014 but 290X came out September 2013.

Having many multi GPU rigs in my time, I have found SLI more pleasing in gaming than Crossfire. However, I have not had experience yet in Freesync and G Sync and that would be another wallet busting option you would have to experience.:)

Back
Top Bottom