GPU Upgrade

Associate
Hey peeps,

I currently have an HD7870 GPU (non-reference design) and whereas I am generally happy with the performance for the games I play (I am 1080p) I am looking to do an upgrade.

I want a GPU that I can put a water block on and preferably one that will support DX12.

From What I have seen I need to either look at the AMD R300 series or NVidia GTX980.

The problem I am having is finding a card which is reasonably priced, has a waterblock available for it and doesn't consume massive amounts of power.

I know the R9 390 has a huge TDP but is it cheaper than the GTX980 -but- waterblocks seem to be much more common for the NVidia Cards than they are for the AMD cards.

So really what I would like is some advice (preferably without it turning into a fanboy anatomy waving contest) on what would really be the best bang for my buck and still allow me to watercool?

Game-wise, I mostly play Elite Dangerous and Black Desert Online but I also play Project Cars and will absolutely be buying the new Need for Speed game when it is released - so ideally I want a card which will give me great performance and future proof me for another 2 years.

The reason I want to fit a block is because I want to go from a closed Corsair CPU liquid cooler to a full custom loop and to be honest that is one of the main drivers behind the decision for the upgrade.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Associate
Best bang for buck and water-cooling thats a worthwhile upgrade from a 7870 is probily a used 290x+a block.

If your buying new.You can grab a 390 but their are no fullcover blocks for them and you would have to use a universal block like a Thermosphere and use heatsinks for the VRMS and memory.#

970 is the same price as 390(more or less) with similar performance,but their are fullcover blocks for pretty much all the 970's tho.

If you can stretch to a 980ti that would be the best option but pricey.A regular 980 is bad value for money if your buying new.

Associate
OP
Best bang for buck and water-cooling thats a worthwhile upgrade from a 7870 is probily a used 290x+a block.

If your buying new.You can grab a 390 but their are no fullcover blocks for them and you would have to use a universal block like a Thermosphere and use heatsinks for the VRMS and memory.#

970 is the same price as 390(more or less) with similar performance,but their are fullcover blocks for pretty much all the 970's tho.

If you can stretch to a 980ti that would be the best option but pricey.A regular 980 is bad value for money if your buying new.

I just got a 270X upgrade for my fiancee (from a GTX 550Ti) so yes I have been considering the 290X the supplier I was looking at had it listed as DirectX 11 support but I have just investigated further and discovered it does actually support DirectX 12 so that sounds like a good option. So now I just need to find one with an available block.

My local supplier here in Poland only has the Sapphire 11226-16-40G & 11226-16-20G neither of which are showing on EKWB site as having a full block available or plans to make one.

So I guess I need to find a supplier with an Asus or Gigabyte reference design and work from there.

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom