• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU upgrade

Associate
Hi guys

I'm running a gtx 970 small overclock with a i5 4690 and 16gb ddr3. I recently picked up a 27inch 1440p ips display 60hz which has exposed the 970. Don't get me wrong I can play new titles I'm just scaling the settings back such as in black ops 4 on medium.

I do like ultra settings whats your advice on the most appropriate gpu for me. I can pick up a 1080 zotac mini for £420 looks the cheapest or is a straight upgrade to 2070 worth it?

I've never had AMD but I would consider it you length might be an issue however I have an sg13 case just fits my msi 970

My budget is 500 really. But if it made sense to shell out a bit more then that's fine. J wouldn't be changing the card for at least 5 years

Associate
OP
This one. I game in our conservatory and the monitor has to pass my wife's style test so no black/wide border/gaming looks

https://www.**********/products/27-...gmJwX8v0BSbtFic7dJUL7ICTYapUKpMIaApPoEALw_wcB

Is 420 a good price on a 1080 , I could wait around and try pick up a 1080ti but something tells me they won't be on sale this year. Maybe the 1070ti will be

Soldato
How about now with these vega deals. Vega 56 do the job now but 64 give me more years of as a titles before upgrade needed ?
The Vega56 would be a good match for your 4690 plus it should fit in the case fine. It'll do 1440p@60Hz fine, crank up the detail and it'll look beautiful on an IPS monitor. The Vega64 is a big card so I would make sure it'll fit, but saying that your cpu may bottleneck the Vega64 to some extent - but, again, if you crank up the detail it can compensate for a poorer CPU.

Also, what power supply do you have? The V56 should be fine with a 600W but the V64 requires either a very good 600-650W PS or a 700W+ average one.

//Edit, I've just checked and the Vega64 is too big for the SG13, but the Vega56 should fit - but it'll be tight. As always, double check for yourself.

Last edited:
Soldato
Back
Top Bottom