GPU water block leaked again.

Soldato
Hi all,

It seems I've developed another leak on the system. Same place as before, underneath the water block on the gpu.

I sent the computer back to OC last time and they fixed it by replacing the water block.

It seems to have happened again.

The only thing I've done recently was plug a second monitor in to the dp port of the graphics card. But surely this shouldnt cause a leak underneath the water block.

Do water blocks leak a lot or am I just unlucky? So far the first, and now this one have lasted me 6 months before they are leaking.

I contacted OC to see what they can do. I'm a disabled guy so I struggle to get down on the floor and even picking the unit up... its the heaviest machine i've had. I hope they can fix it.

Soldato
OP
looks like I'm unlucky..

my 2 monitors kept flicking off and on now too.. looks like something is going wrong.

This is putting me off watercooling.

Soldato
You seem to be unlucky. Plugging the 2nd monitor wouldn't have done this. I've only used a total of 3 blocks but all have been repeatedly moved, removed and reinstalled. For a couple of days my graphics card was just hanging off the tubing without any issue.

It might be the fitting that is leaking rather than the block itself. If it is difficult to verify tell OcUK to replace it all

Soldato
OP
Just had a weird thing where the 2nd monitor (hdmi) lost connection and come back on again.

Then both monitors went off and on, and windows said g-sync now activated (it was activated before). Seems odd.

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it.

Soldato
Partly a reason I do it all myself. Nothing against OCUK on this. But I too have never had a leak on my loops.

Have you any idea what is leaking? Block itself or possibly a fitting?

Do you have a pic of the affected area?

That could be a basic driver crash etc. Water will likely blow/short the card entirely.

Soldato
OP
The first time this happened it was an EK Water block that was leaking from underneath. They replaced that with another brand.. i forget which.. this one is a dark unit, the ek was a see through one.

It seems to be the block itself. But im not 100% sure. I felt a bead of water underneath the block. But not on top or around the connectors.

So far monitors are back on. It they start going off again then ill turn the comp off until it gets repaired.

I'm not sure why these are cracking.

Maybe its because i try and keep my room cool with my fan and then when it goes under heavy load it cracks the block? Seems abit odd. I've never seen 1 part break so many times before.

Soldato
BowdonUK;30482507 said:
Just had a weird thing where the 2nd monitor (hdmi) lost connection and come back on again.

Then both monitors went off and on, and windows said g-sync now activated (it was activated before). Seems odd.

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it.

Don't worry about the G-Sync bit, its because the screen was powered off and on again. Just check the power cable is firmly in as those kettle leads can sit quite loose if the cables are under tension (i.e. neatly cabled behind a desk).

You need to get feedback as to where it was leaking, some pics of the build might help also to see how the GPU is connected. If its the physical block thats leaking sounds strange as i've never know them to do that really but if it came pre-fitted by OCUK then not your fault.

Look under the block with a bright light, if the black seal round the plexi is not jet black against it anywhere it probably needs those bolts nearby tightening up. If the seal is damaged it needs replacing. If its actually leaking from the ports check the fittings are in tight.

edit: Not sure if your block is transparent actually??!

Soldato
OP
When the block last leaked OC had me take some photos of it and upload it to imgur. I had posted them here: http://bowdonuk.imgur.com under waterleak before and after. That was the transparent water block.

The block in now is a dark non-see through one.. and the water bead again is underneth. I remember it was a different brand of water block though, not EK.

Associate
On the second pic the the right hand fitting looks like it has some water/condensation on it also it doesnt look like its its been 100% threaded into the terminal properly.

Edit:If you have a dark block now its probily an XSPC one

Soldato
OP
MrMD;30483348 said:
On the second pic the the right hand fitting looks like it has some water/condensation on it also it doesnt look like its its been 100% threaded into the terminal properly.

Edit:If you have a dark block now its probily an XSPC one

The XSPC sounds familiar.

On the old block in the picture it turned out that the water cooling system wasnt fully connected properly and I used to get bubbles in the water chamber bubbling up.

The guy who fixed it, Stuart B, did a good job in fixing it all up.

That's why I'm surprised that this leak is happening again on this water block. Both times this as happened everything was going fine then suddenly the water level drops a centimetre in the water chamber. I usually keep my eye on that.

I wish I could find the OC folder that came with the computer. When is someone going to invent a device that beeps if we lose things lol.

Soldato
Your very unlucky, haven't had a block leak before, I would get some pictures of the new leak so when you ring them up you can show them the problem, it will probably help speedboat things along getting it sorted.

Edit: lol "speedboat" don't ya love predictive text.

Associate
I've had a leak on the underside of my GPU before (when mounted) and it was because a hex screw in the affected area wasn't tight enough. It was my fault because I had taken it apart previously to give the inside of the block a clean. My excuse was (I told myself) it's difficult to know how tight is tight enough and not too tight on those things. Mayhems UV Yellow-Green Premix dropped on to the back of my sound card and the only indication I had that something was wrong was a crackling noise occurring each time it dripped.

Anyway, I'd say you're extremely unlucky to have 2 leaks on two separate blocks if you've never taken them apart.

Soldato
pastymuncher;30482846 said:
What block, EK by any chance? If so it's probably a failed seal which seems to be happening all to often these days.

That's ominous sounding. With my very limited knowledge I thought EK were the 'Big Dogs' in watercoolong. Is this no longer the case?

Man of Honour
After the farce with the Predator units, not by a long shot. Several of us have had seperate blocks leak as well due to the O rings failing. Customer service seems to have gone really bad too. I have dropped EK altogether after my experience with their customer service.

Soldato
OP
I got a reply back from the OC people via email and he said to bring it in and let them have a look at it. So I'll get that sorted.

I was wondering if maybe it was when my room goes colder at night. But then I thought surely they test enviromental changes for any potential damage occuring.

The last time I had a constant issue with a part of the computer was when I was back in windows 95 and a dodgy hard drive lol. I must have kept re-installing windows 100 times before i could afford to upgrade the hdd lol

Soldato
BowdonUK;30484306 said:
I got a reply back from the OC people via email and he said to bring it in and let them have a look at it. So I'll get that sorted.

I was wondering if maybe it was when my room goes colder at night. But then I thought surely they test enviromental changes for any potential damage occuring.

The last time I had a constant issue with a part of the computer was when I was back in windows 95 and a dodgy hard drive lol. I must have kept re-installing windows 100 times before i could afford to upgrade the hdd lol

My room gets into single digits quite often (if im working nights) and as hot as 20-30c. Never had a leak on anything.

I'd say your just unlucky. Possibly something a miss with the batch of blocks possibly.

Back
Top Bottom