GPU WATERBLOCK

Associate
Hey!

I'm looking at getting a new Liquid Cooled Loop, and i want to add the GPU in to the loop, so im wondering what block i will need for this card - ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1060 6GB STRIX-GTX1060-6G-GAMING 6GB GDDR5

The loop Im considering getting is the Pacific RL360.

Any help or advice i can get would be much appreciated. :)

Associate
EK do 2 blocks for that card.

Isn't the ThermalTake radiator aluminium ? I'd stay away unless you're sticking with aluminium everything. You can't mix copper and aluminium just so you know.

Soldato
The price of a block combined with the cost of the card and you're talking GTX 1070 territory. At that point you'd be much faster (not quite as cool running mind you) just buying a GTX 1070 and running it on air.

Associate
OP
EK do 2 blocks for that card.

Isn't the ThermalTake radiator aluminium ? I'd stay away unless you're sticking with aluminium everything. You can't mix copper and aluminium just so you know.

Didn't realise the radiator was aluminium, thanks for pointing that out!

I'm definitely going to use the PR22-D5 or the PR15-D5 as a Res/Pump. Are most if not all radiators/components/blocks compatible with with one another in one of those loops? (sorry if that sounds a stupid question im just getting all the info i can bufore i start getting all my parts

Soldato
I want to run the water block to cool the card down, running a 1070 on air isnt going to help... it'll still produce more heat.

It will and it’s nice to have a cool running card. It’s just unless the airflow is particularly poor in your case, it would be more cost effective to spend the money on a more powerful GPU.

Pascal isn’t particularly spectacular for ambient overclocking. Sure under water it will boost higher than on air but the difference between the two is likely to be 50MHz or so. The hard wall implemented by Nvidia (say 2100MHz on the GTX 1080) will exist regardless of the cooler. If you can hit that wall on air, the expense of watercooling becomes difficult to justify?

IMO until Pascal BIOS tweaker becomes a thing (chances are it won’t) watercooling Pascal, isn’t at all worth it - especially towards the end of the generation life cycle.

Soldato
Hard wall is on voltage limited by the GPU just to say... my 1080s run 2,139 under water.

Yep, voltage becomes the limit before the temp does regardless of what cooler you attach.

Quite a sad money making move by Nvidia, considering watercooling is a thing and drops operating temps by approx 50%.

Gone are the days of taking a non Ti card and overclocking it to be as powerful as a stock Ti version.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom