• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU's on separate PSU

Soldato
Could I run 4 way SLI with two cards on the system PSU and the other two on a separate PSU?

I want to run quad 780's and I have a 1200w & 1000w PSU's. 1200w I would allocate to the system and 2*GPU and 1000w I would allocate only to the other two GPU's.

Would there be any issues with polarity?

Man of Honour
You can do this without any issues. Lian Li make an adapter so you can connect both power supplies and have them turn on at the same time
http://www.legitreviews.com/add2psu-daisy-chain-power-supply-adapter-review_1698

You don't even need any fancy connectors if you use two or more PSUs.

Just use the white connector on the second PSU 24 pin lead (like you get in watercooling kits for testing) to fool it into thinking it is plugged into the motherboard.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/xspc-psu-bridging-connector-24-pin-wc-021-ok.html

Soldato
@Kaapstad I've got one of those already. I'm assuming it wouldn't do the GPU any harm if it received power in that way before the main system (and therefore the PCI) was switched on?
Not at all, i ran a 3 gpu system with 3rd on 2nd psu this way for 2 years without problems, you can boot the pc and then power 2nd or power 2nd first then boot, either works and is fine

Soldato
Not at all, i ran a 3 gpu system with 3rd on 2nd psu this way for 2 years without problems, you can boot the pc and then power 2nd or power 2nd first then boot, either works and is fine

You should check the following when doing this.

Your 2nd or 3rd PSU should be a "DC to DC circuit" design PSU as they can run on very low loads or none at all.
Using the older tech, "Magnetic Amplifier Circuit" design PSUs may cause problems as they tend to require a minimum load on the 12V, 5V and 3.3V to run correctly. If you have one of these, use it as the initial PSU connected to the Mobo and other random low powered components.

Generally Magnetic Amplifier Circuit PSUs will be the cheaper budget models Silver/bronze or lower rated models. Most if not all gold or better rated PSUs will be DC to DC circuit design.

Back
Top Bottom