Gran Turismo "Sport"

Soldato
Unveiled here is the first release of the Gran Turismo franchise on PS4.

This is NOT GT7 or a Prologue, but a standalone game aimed at eSports and competitive racing at all levels, with the major point being their collaboration with the FIA leading to:
Two FIA online championships will be featured in Gran Turismo SPORT.
What makes these new series special is that the gamer has the option of either playing or simply spectating to take in the motorsports experience as a fan. In the Nations Cup series, players can either drive for their home country or stay on the sidelines and root their countrymen on, while the Manufacturers Cup allows them to drive or support their favorite car maker. In both cases, the gamer is provided with the complete motorsports experience.

And best of all, the winner of each championship will be coroneted in the same way as a real-life race winner, at a prize-giving ceremony held by the FIA. This will mark a historic moment in video gaming as Gran Turismo will officially be recognized as a motorsport.

The game is set to have an overhauled physics engine, with 'much improved' graphics and sounds.

-

If they don't sound like hoovers and can make the course maker even better, think a bundle will have to be bought upon release.. although my G27 won't work thanks to money reasons at Logitech. :rolleyes:

I also remember the tyre squealing at every corner in GT6. :shudder:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
This looks really disappointing to me. It's sort of a half-baked attempt to stick a game onto the PS4 but forgetting they need a game - and not just something from years ago - to implement their eSport side.

I hope it's better than what's been said so far. I'm sure I read somewhere that Kaz was thinking he should have just called it GT7. If that is true, he is really losing the plot. Shame, as the GT series has made me the petrolhead I am today.

Soldato
OP
It's just a shame as I think I owned every GT up to GT6 barring the HD Concept version.

Now I have Forza on console, AC on PC and if this does come out like this, probably not another GT game for quite a long time.

Soldato
OP
I think it was more of a closed affair, I can't really remember to be honest.

I remember when they were talking about introducing bikes. Another idea they must have wasted time on rather than what was necessary.

Soldato
OP
Although I can't use my wheel with this, I've set the preloading off and will see what I think when playing with the controller. This sort of competitive play is what I'm after, so I hope they've managed to do it right, otherwise this will be the end of GT for me. Shame, as that's where it all started. :(

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately I can't use my wheel with the PS4, but from using the controller... I actually quite like it. It feels decent and I actually prefer the physics to those in Forza.

Few annoying bugs in the demo though.

Soldato
OP
I'm really enjoying it because I'm not treating it like the old GT. The only remnants are the menus, photo's now renamed to scapes, 'licence' tests and so on. But I'm treating it like a console-alternative to iRacing when it comes to the competitive racing. The old GT idea of taking a slow car and making it fast(er), is still sort of there, as you can lighten or upgrade the power of cars but in a much more simplified fashion in the car settings menu. The customisation is good too, with the livery editor (IMO) easily being on par for usability with that of Forza.

So far, both my online races had a mixture of the crashers, those who were starting to lose out and wanted to drive you off the track, and those who wanted to race clean. The ghosting system worked well.

I'm actually enjoying it so much - something a few weeks back I did not expect to do at all - that I've pre-ordered the Steelbook version. :D

Soldato
OP
Well. I’ve logged in this morning to receive the same gift as I did yesterday for the daily gift (N24 GTR)... which confused me straight away. Turns out yesterday didn’t exist, as I’ve got the same mileage points, distance driven and credits as I did 24 hours ago.

Few more 20 lap arcade races it is.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I’ve seen a few of the AI miss their braking points by braking too late or early, as well as those catching the grass or rumble strips and spinning off onto the grass.

Soldato
OP
Thing is, you can just go and set up a custom race to a set number of laps or time, select a car, select a track you fancy, time of day, what penalties you want on, tyre and fuel usage, whether to make it more arcade with a boost for cars at the back, start position, cars on track, etc.., and race the AI at a difficulty you choose. You'll be rewarded for it like you would in a career mode race.

At least it saves the boring grind from getting your first car - a Demio/something equally **** - and pointlessly going through the motions in the Sunday Driver Leagues.

Soldato
OP
I understand what you mean, but they've followed everyone bar Forza on that one unfortunately. :(

Only thing you could do, is sort of restrict yourself and only progress when you feel ready to master the next group.

Soldato
OP
I think you must have had some sort of problem stuie, as only once during the very busy times did I ever have a problem with connecting, and when they did the rollback I lost some of my progress.

Soldato
OP
I'm actually really looking forward to this unlocking, although I'll just wait till tomorrow to play.

It's a shame VR Mode hasn't been included in full, but they won't implement it until it is 100% how they want it. Hopefully they bring it in with an update later. :)

Soldato
OP
Did an online race the other day at the Nurburgring GP circuit in Impreza's. I was about 8th for the start, and what happened was the front 7 cars did the rolling start as usual, with me and everyone behind me starting on the straight before the last corner. Almost caught the pack ahead, but left me with no chance. :(

Back
Top Bottom