Graphics Card or Monitor - I can't decide

Associate
Hi All.......
I currently have a 12900k, 3080TI FE, Samsung Odyssey G7 (240hz 1440P) monitor.

Now, this is my dilemma... I can either buy a new monitor (thinking PG42UQ OR the QD Oled Alienware), OR a 4090.
I'm tempted by the increase in performance from the 4090, but also very tempted by the Alienware QD OLED!?!

Can anyone help sort this madness in my head?!

Associate
A nice dilemma to have!

I would go for the 4090, less chance of dead pixels! Plus it's easier to return a GPU if there is a problem.

Anyways, I think I give the OLED tech a few more generations, I am still scared of burn-in, I know QD-OLED helps but a few more iterations wouldn't hurt.

Man of Honour
It would yes.
Not unhappy as such with my current monitor, but tempted by the QD-OLED.
I would open another thread in the monitor section of the forum or get a mod to move this, mite get more responses.

If you can afford it then why not but maybe check out somewhere you can experience that type of monitor, that's a lot of beer money.

Underboss
personally , keep the monitor
I've just upgraded from a 27" 1080p 144Hz to a 2K 27" 165Hz and honestly i cant see really any difference , at first windows looked amazing, text was sharper

I've now got a much better monitor, i changed because of the text difference

this is my new screen :

its not a crap screen either !

Last edited:
Associate
Before buying a 4090 make sure your PSU is rated high enough and also your case can fit, seen some unboxing videos, and the FE version is huge, but some of the AIB cards are larger still.

This will add to the cost and may put you over budget.

Personally I would wait on the RTX 5000 series, perhaps Nvidia may have learnt some lessons by then, and get the monitor.

Associate
OP
Before buying a 4090 make sure your PSU is rated high enough and also your case can fit, seen some unboxing videos, and the FE version is huge, but some of the AIB cards are larger still.

This will add to the cost and may put you over budget.

Personally I would wait on the RTX 5000 series, perhaps Nvidia may have learnt some lessons by then, and get the monitor.
Yeah, I have the Fractal Torrent and a Seasonic 1000w PSU - so I should be fine.

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
Personally I'd go with the new monitor, it's what I plan to do if funds allow. Nvidia are deliberately manipulating prices and gouging us consumers with ridiculous pricing and shady practices, like the 4070 masquerading as a 4080. I mean EVGA has quit gpu's because of them and I suspect other companies will follow suit by the next generation.

Your current hardware is excellent and you'll likely see a bigger difference in a new monitor than anything else.

Soldato
Hi All.......
I currently have a 12900k, 3080TI FE, Samsung Odyssey G7 (240hz 1440P) monitor.

Now, this is my dilemma... I can either buy a new monitor (thinking PG42UQ OR the QD Oled Alienware), OR a 4090.
I'm tempted by the increase in performance from the 4090, but also very tempted by the Alienware QD OLED!?!

Can anyone help sort this madness in my head?!

If you like playing computer games the OLED with its perfect blacks and vibrant colours would look much better than a new GPU. !

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally I'd go with the new monitor, it's what I plan to do if funds allow. Nvidia are deliberately manipulating prices and gouging us consumers with ridiculous pricing and shady practices, like the 4070 masquerading as a 4080. I mean EVGA has quit gpu's because of them and I suspect other companies will follow suit by the next generation.

Your current hardware is excellent and you'll likely see a bigger difference in a new monitor than anything else.

Yes I think I'm going to go this route too.

Back
Top Bottom