Graphics card upgrade advice

Associate
Hi all, I have had my PC now for 2.5years and its still running really well for me, my current set up plays everything at 60fps on High and almost all newer games ive tested on ultra fairly well. In a few months I will be looking at replacing my graphics card, but I do not know if anything else inside my PC needs changing with it to support the new card, I would also like help on what card would suit me. Im happy playing games at 60fps and 144hz 1080p. i will add specs below. thank you

CPU: A406 - Intel Core i7 4790
CPU Cooler: B102 - BeQuiet! Pure Rock
RAM: C212 - 16GB Corsair 2400mhz Vengeance Pro (2x8GB)
Graphics card: D107 - NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 970 4GB
Motherboard: 4247 - Asus Z97-P
Operating System: F105 - Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
Hard Drive: G103 - 2TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
Case: K323 - NZXT S340 Black
PSU: K607 - 750W FSP
Internet: G205 - Gigabyte Wireless 802.11AC 867Mbps + Bluetooth PCI-E Card
Sound Card: Q302 - Onboard 7.1 Audio
Warranty: sc-1 - 3 Year SureCare Warranty
Monitors: M210 - Asus 24" VG248QE 144Hz Gaming LED x2

Associate
OP
ok thanks, I guess its just for a general idea on what to go for next and if like the PSU would support a new card ect, but yes agree with price changes

Associate
The 4790 is still up there with the best when it comes to games. It's not quite as fast as the latest, but it's close. Certainly though the 970 is an under-achiever in that system and I would replace it with at least a 1070. In fact the CPU is good enough to go all the way to a 1080ti if you fancy a second mortgage. I think you will be surprised how much more powerful a 1070 is. It will make a huge difference.

I would also recommend an SSD. It's a system that will benefit greatly from one. Either you can get a small one for your OS ( 120GB ), and keep the other HDD, or spend a bit more and get a larger one.

Associate
OP
thats great help thank you! yeah the 1080ti looks pricey, but if the 1070 will be a big improvement i may consider this in the next few weeks, I will be fine installing the new card myself. Also with the SSD is it easy to install? and would i mainly use it for booting up my system, as it wouldn't hold many games. I picked all the parts for MY PC but had a company build it, not sure how i would get my windows 10 on the new SSD.

Soldato
Definitely no sense to upgrade from that CPU, considering its high clock speed making it only little slower than current Intels...
Which lack any easy upgrade paths, to possibly more noticeable faster CPUs.

Maybe fair year from now might be more sensible time to consider CPU side upgrade.

Associate
Get and SSD, or if your motherboard supports booting off it and you have the cash check out the Samsung 960 EVO.
Also get a graphics card. Watch the graphics cards forum for announcements of offers.

Associate
OP
If i buy an SSD how do i get windows 10 on it? I don’t have my original keys that I know of. And would it mainly just be used for faster boot up time for my PC or would you recommend installing games on it?

Soldato
If i buy an SSD how do i get windows 10 on it? I don’t have my original keys that I know of. And would it mainly just be used for faster boot up time for my PC or would you recommend installing games on it?

Clone your current drive into it if it's not large .
If not , download windows creation tool and create USB media stick.
Install without Registering option .
If you currently have win10 on old system, log into msn or link it to your Hotmail account.
When it comes to the new install, use MS webchat to explain system died and you had to get a new drive but lost your CD key or blag something

Back
Top Bottom