• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics setup query

Associate
I'm looking at setting up a lowish end setup to go with bits I had lying around to then overclock to hell and back :)...

As I see it I have a few options on the graphics front :-

SLI's 6600's
7800GT
X850XT

once second hand option I do have is a pair of Gigabyte Geforce 6600 128MB SLI PCI-E - which run apparantly at 500 GPU/600 RAM on stock (passive) cooling - for £90.

This is to go in a Abit Fatality SLI mobo along with an as yet unpurchased CPU ( need to work out a low cost option which will likely overclock well ).

Cooling I understand the Zalman's work well on the Geforce and I know the 850 is cooled well by the Arctic cooling solution.

Budget? Cheap :p - trying to do it on as low a budget as I can, so may end up second hand on some parts.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Like a1ex2001 says if it is solely for the sake of it then I'd probably get the 6600s for SLi and see how it works but I'd try to knock a bit off the price if possible though having taken a look at new prices I guess it isn't too bad.

If Epox motherboards come back in then I'd recommend getting one of them for the overclocking abilities.

Associate
OP
I'm not planning on replacing the mobo as it's one I had lying around :)...

Basically taking bits I have, dropping a cheap 'n nasty CD-Rom in and adding RAM ( need to work out best option for that ) and the Graphics cards in - keeping the cost down as far as I can ( although I can see it hitting £300 :( ).

Went for the 6600's - should be fun :).

Back
Top Bottom