Great or awful spec

Associate
Hi,

I've been having a good dig around the forum for a few days to get an idea of what could be a decent build for a new system.

I'm looking for a unit that will handle all recent games at a high quality and last a few years, also used for some video editing, running the occasional Windows VM or 2 maybe lead into using some vr later down the line.

Looking for a complete setup base unit, monitor, keyboard/mouse and a headset. trying to work within a 2000-2300 budget preferably.

Ideally something that runs relatively quite too

I've put the following together so far and interested in feedback. Cheers

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,107.73 (includes shipping: £20.82)​

Last edited:
Man of Honour
ryzen 3700x
scythe mugen 5 rev b
msi b450 tomahawk max
crucial ballistix LT 3200c16 2x16gb BLS2K16G4D32AESB
zotac rtx 2080 amp edition (non-super)
sabrent rocket 1tb nvme ssd
phanteks p350x case
corsair rm650 gold modular psu
2x arctic cooling p14 pwm pst fans

LG 27GL850 (review here: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_27gl850.htm )
Corsair Gaming K55 + HARPOON RGB Gaming Keyboard and Mouse Combo
HyperX Cloud Alpha Pro Gaming Headset

Soldato
both with 4 yr gigabyte warranty and cheaper or slightly more then Aorus 2070 super

E
Total: £1,189.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)

but if your after style/looks- aorus is hard to beat!

uZSKFC3.jpg

must admit, liking Bequiets new Base 500 case and not taking the mic with pricing - two 140mm fans and high hairflow options

Total: £91.09 (includes shipping: £11.10)

dpending on VM use, 12 cores?​

Associate
OP
Wow, that was a complete slam dunk, blown out the water fail then ! appreciate the feedback and will take a look at those recomendations.

Hey, at least the CPU was right :)

Associate
OP
Hi,

Went to look at getting some items ordered this morning, (I've already picked up the 3700x and just shy of £300) but found the Tomahawk is out of stock and it seems like all the 2080's recommend are all "Not available anymore" from OCUK ?? are they discontinued or stocking issues. Reviews suggest the scythe mugen 5 rev b is a decent and silent cooler which is important. The fans recommend though (2x arctic cooling p14 pwm pst fans) do you mean to replace the stock ones on the case?

The LG monitor looks like a beast though

Thx.

Associate
For 4k monitor, I would go minimum 32 inches. Tried before.
At least for me, at the moment, I'm comfortable using a 27" 1440p Dell.
In few years may go for 4k.

Man of Honour
The fans recommend though (2x arctic cooling p14 pwm pst fans) do you mean to replace the stock ones on the case?
If you're referring to the build spec I posted...
The phanteks 350x only comes with one fan. Hence the 2 extra fans are for the front of the case

Associate
OP
For 4k monitor, I would go minimum 32 inches. Tried before.
At least for me, at the moment, I'm comfortable using a 27" 1440p Dell.
In few years may go for 4k.

Hi, Go big or go home :)

I thought about a 32" but as this is going to be my work PC as well as game rig, 32" is a bit big for my "Office" (more like cupboard), even with a 27" it's gonna be tight as I also operate a second monitor.

Associate
OP
Hi, I'm torn between the Tomahawk MAX and the Gaming Carbon AC for my already purchased 3700x

Carbon coming with claimed better audio, WiFi (nice have but not key) and "better" VRM heatsink. Though not sure the latter is of much importance as the power drain on the 3700x is lower

The Tomahawk MAX is a couple of quid cheaper, has the larger BIOS ram (I think)

I'm more than happy to BIOS flash myself if it needs it for the Carbon but makes me question its longevity if they are having to pull the GUI side of the BIOS due to limitations.

I've also picked up the Sabrent Rocket 1Tb.

As for GPU, wt#! how many iterations of a chipset can there be, also the demand must be high as they seem to go out of stock quicker than a click, I see a lot of posters defering to the the 5700 (I saw this sits somewhere between the 2060 and 2070). But am sure I'll go for a 2080 in some form or another if I can locate the right one.

This is a slow build as I want to get that sweetness just right. I also look at the Scythe PCGH as the noise levels where really low though noted it sits at 16cm high which made me think that some case specs might put that wight against the side almost (maybe not a big problem but was thinking about airflow around/over it.

I do tend to overthink sometimes :) I'm leaning back towards the Tomahawk but wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on the above.

Associate
OP
Well I've done a bit of butchering here and put something together which I'd refer to as a powered disco ball, what do you think? I've also got the Rocket 1tb M.2 to plumb in. My alternative would be PureBase 500 midi with a Schythe Mugen rev B.

Total: £2,205.56 (includes shipping: £20.82)

Associate
OP
Hi,

Gaming OC? you mean the GPU's?

I saw the below was in stock, extra £20 and 5 year over the above's 3 year warranty, sounds like a bargain any reason I shouldn't swap out?

Total: £659.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)

Annoyingly the monitor is still out of stock will see if anyone else has them. If I chuck everything in the basket now do you know if it adjusts prices automatically (reduce/increase) based on the site changes later this morning?​

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi,

Gaming OC? you mean the GPU's?

I saw the below was in stock, extra £20 and 5 year over the above's 3 year warranty, sounds like a bargain any reason I shouldn't swap out?

Total: £659.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)

Annoyingly the monitor is still out of stock will see if anyone else has them. If I chuck everything in the basket now do you know if it adjusts prices automatically (reduce/increase) based on the site changes later this morning?​

ah sorry, I was getting mixed up with AMD NAVI RX5700 Series . rest only have 2 yrs vs gigabytes 3

Seems Gigabytes RTX 2080 Gamign OC has flown off the shelf and no longer available .

Spending the extra £30 on the Amp Xtreme is worth while. Not sure how Zotac Customer Service is compared to Gigabytes . Just dont forget to register the card

https://www.zotac.com/eu/page/product-warranty-policy

Standard Warranty: 2 years

· Extended Warranty: +3years

· Total Warranty: 5 years total

unlike Gigabyte, if you forget to do it , they wont cover you for being late

worth checking out reviews for RTX 2070 Super vs 2080 since using Ryzen

Total: £1,209.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)

some games may justify £100 extra specially with intel pushing highest Min frame rate

also worth a shout - monitor should last you 10 odd years

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...sync-compatible-gaming-monitor-mo-0a9-as.html

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well I pulled the trigger, stuck with the Zotak and upped RAM to 32Gb.

I'm without the monitor though and can't seem to find another source for that, will keep looking.

Soldato
Well I pulled the trigger, stuck with the Zotak and upped RAM to 32Gb.

I'm without the monitor though and can't seem to find another source for that, will keep looking.

solid monitors

Total: £1,539.89 (includes shipping: £0.00)

aorus is a bit of a cheat as hardware brings up overlays in games etc

post up your rig when done!!!

Associate
OP
I liked the Aorus espeically it's tilting capabilities. Not sure about a curved screen on the acer, always thought that was a bit gimicky.

I'll need to check it out again as the LG really stuck out last time as great bit of kit.

Pic's will follow :)

Back
Top Bottom