Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [29th - 31st Jan 2021]

Man of Honour
Tell you what I like about Nat Phillips, he's a no nonsense old school-esque defender, you arent going to see him drive forward 30 yds with the ball or ping a pinpoint 50 yard pass but he just gets the job done.

Don
That will do nicely. For all the whining I didn't think we done too badly in the first half. West Ham away, especially considering the form they're in, is always a potential banana skin but to go their with our makeshift back line and their strength in the air and physicality in attack, it was a really tricky game. We managed the game really well though, dominating the midfield and preventing them from even creating attacks. We weren't creating much but we were slowly but surely wearing them down and it was no surprise the gaps appeared in the 2nd half.

All three goals were outstanding in their own way and it's so good to see Mo looking sharp again. Only negative was to concede at the end but we were up against the best side in the League at set-plays with a single player that can head a ball - we were always going to be vulnerable from balls into the box but even then, it was slightly unfortunate with Robbo's flick taking it away from Phillips.

He's going to be a bit of a slow burner but Curtis Jones is going to be a seriously good player. He's got a bit of everything about him - he ticks every box physically, he's got a great touch, eye for a pass, can run with the ball and has a great mix of confidence and a hard working attitude.
Perfect goal that, Salah on 20+ goals for the 4th season in a row :eek:
He's outstanding and he deserves to be spoken about as one of the best forwards to play in the PL. As a non centre forward, taking just 1 (or2?) pens he broke the single season scoring record, top scorer again the next season, just a few goals off top last season and now top scorer again this season.

edit: and the greedy Mo Salah stuff that Souness has just come out with is so exaggerated too. With the exception of Henry and Suarez, I'd bet he's assisting at a far higher rate than any other top goalscorer in the PL era.

Last edited:
Caporegime
He's going to be a bit of a slow burner but Curtis Jones is going to be a seriously good player. He's got a bit of everything about him - he ticks every box physically, he's got a great touch, eye for a pass, can run with the ball and has a great mix of confidence and a hard working attitude.
I think he'll end up similar to Gini in the short term, an amazing talent that will be capable of so much more than we see of him simply because his attacking abilities will be sacrificed for the good of the team.

Speaking of Gini, have we ever had a player that's changed supporter opinion so much despite not really playing any different than when he joined us? So many people, including myself, used to criticise his lack of creativity and goals yet the same player's now seen as absolutely integral to the team.

Edit: Just noticed Klopp mentioned Milner's hamstring in his interview, he better not be injured again :mad:

Last edited:
Don
Speaking of Gini, have we ever had a player that's changed supporter opinion so much despite not really playing any different than when he joined us? So many people, including myself, used to criticise his lack of creativity and goals yet the same player's now seen as absolutely integral to the team.
I think it was just a case of expectations. I can remember the summer we signed him thinking we were signing another number 10/attacking midfielder but very quickly Klopp turned him into a number 8 and more recently he's been playing even deeper in midfield. He's always had a bit of a habbit of popping up with important goals tbf to him though.

There's still times where I think he can give us a bit more going forward but ultimately his role in the side is the water carrier. He just keeps everything ticking over, covering every blade of grass and never giving the ball away. He's also got a bullet proof fitness record which has been pushed to the limit this season, with everybody else dropping like flies around him. Thank god we didn't let him go in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom