Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [7th - 9th July 2020]

Don
I can watch sky legally on my mac and have the whole thing crawl and sound like its dying or I can get a dodgy stream (of sky) and its better quality and doesn't tax my system at all. Frankly embarrassing from sky

Yeah I wasn't suggesting that people should watch streams, just usually that seems to be the place people tend to watch football. I guess subs are that cheap now you don't need to, I pay for Sky purely for football and they love having Leeds on :D

Don
OP
Yeah I wasn't suggesting that people should watch streams, just usually that seems to be the place people tend to watch football. I guess subs are that cheap now you don't need to, I pay for Sky purely for football and they love having Leeds on :D
Wait until you're in the PL then it'll only be when you play the top 4 :p

Man of Honour
Is Mourinho really moaning that Bournemouth played "too direct" and they didn't win due to not getting a penalty...

Spurs were woeful.

Soldato
That clip isnt fair on Mourinho. He gave an interview and that was extra. If you cant get your **** together for a basic interview then what do you expect?

Caporegime
All VAR has done is highlight more than ever how incompetent our referees are.

Germany don't have this problem and the technology is absolutely fine, it's just used in a comical fashion in this country.

Caporegime
The main issue is VAR will only overturn if it is a clear and obvious error by the ref. Not when it isn't as clear cut and is based on opinion.

Harry Kane's penalty was a little soft. He is the master of falling over at the slightest push so it could be argued either way.

Bruno pen should have been called back. Yet on the flip side if you are going to lunge in like that as a defender you are asking for trouble.

Don
OP
The main issue is VAR will only overturn if it is a clear and obvious error by the ref.....
I mentioned it last night but the issue is how they interpret what clear and obvious is. Neil Swarbrick (the ref in charge of var) explained at the start of the season that what they would do is listen to the onfield refs explanation of why he made his decision and only if the explanation made no sense would they then look to overturn the decision.

So for example you could have two identical penalty appeals, one where the ref says he saw the incident but wasn't convinced there was enough contact to be sure it was a foul and another where he says he saw the incident and there was no contact. If the replays show there was contact and a clear foul, the 2nd instance could be overturned but the 1st almost certainly wouldn't as, despite being wrong, the refs explanation kind of makes sense.

Given what we've seen this season it wasn't a surprise that the Kane appeal was overturned - the ref's most likely said he's seen a coming together but wasn't convinced it was enough to give a foul. He was clearly wrong but his explanation made enough sense to justify not overturning it. I've no clue what John Moss said to VAR that could explain why Utd's pen wasn't overturned though.

VAR should be all or nothing. If we're going to take time out of the game to review decisions then we have to end up making the correct decision. At the moment we're spending time reviewing all these decisions, the correct ones are still correct but just taking 30 seconds longer to make and 90% of the wrong ones are still wrong but are taking 2 minutes to make and then we're left with a tiny number of correct overturns.

Back
Top Bottom