Greenlizard0 PL & FA Cup SF Football Thread ** spoilers ** [20th - 25th April 2024]

Don
I would rather have a system that makes some mistakes than the old one which made loads. We just see them a lot more now because VAR looks at lots of stuff so we have a few minutes ourselves to watch replays and then because of VAR its a much hotter topic when there is a mistake.

Going back to no VAR now would be a nightmare and I think people have forgotten quite how often poor decisions were made. We would have a weird situation where we expect the higher standards of VAR but without the ability to rectify massive mistakes.
VAR for anything other than offsides (and the sooner the semi automated tech arrives the better) is a waste of time imo. You say we had loads of mistakes before but are we really getting many more correct decisions now to justify all the nonsense that comes with VAR?

As of last weekend there were approx 80 VAR overturns from around 320 matches. Of those 80 odd over turns, just over 30 of them were offsides leaving around 50 for subjective calls or 1 for ever 6 or so matches played. Of those 50 subjective VAR decisions I'd guestimate that at least 10 of them were either plain wrong or best case were marginal calls that whichever decision was made could be argued was correct. That brings you down to 1 (correct) subjective VAR overturn for ever 8 matches played. Is one decision per weekend really enough to justify all the nonsense that comes along with VAR? Absolutely not imo. And if the lack of more correct decisions wasn't bad enough, it's 100x harder for supporters to accept inconsistencies with VAR than before VAR. Yes, we'd all have a moan after the game but when we calmed down we would generally acknowledge and understand that the ref had one chance to view something and they're not going to get things 100% right but when 2 refs are sitting in a studio, watching 10 replays from every angle and still don't make the correct call it's almost impossible to understand.

You say going back to the days without VAR would be a nightmare but I honestly think that if that happened (it won't sadly) that supporters would be far more understanding of officials making mistakes having had to put up with VAR for the past few seasons.

At the moment we're getting all the negatives that VAR was going to bring but with very few positives.

Soldato
I would rather have a system that makes some mistakes than the old one which made loads. We just see them a lot more now because VAR looks at lots of stuff so we have a few minutes ourselves to watch replays and then because of VAR its a much hotter topic when there is a mistake.

Going back to no VAR now would be a nightmare and I think people have forgotten quite how often poor decisions were made. We would have a weird situation where we expect the higher standards of VAR but without the ability to rectify massive mistakes.
I would agree but the recent Cup games where there was no VAR showed pretty much there is no need. Unless those Cup games were one offs lol...

There is no turning back now of course, and it does seem to work better on the continent.

Hope it works out for the sake of our game.

Man of Honour
I think we'll struggle as usual today, but the quality of Bruno etc will get us over the line - but we won't deserve it.

Strong XI from us, Casemiro at centre back but no valid excuse there.

Associate
That looked a bad clash of heads, Beto hasn't move from position he landed in yet after 4 mins. Medical team probably keeping him like that though

Back
Top Bottom