Greenlizard0 Premier League Football Thread ** spoilers ** [15th - 17th December 2023]

And no, there was no Brighton player close enough to challenge Szobo.
There's literally a Brighton player getting back onto the goal line when Dom goes down :cry:

1:05
As I said Dale Johnson, who is a qualified official and spends 90% of his time analysing decisions and VAR will cover this on Monday. He will say it could have been given but the reason why it wasn't is because the Palace player is moving away from goal and the VAR won't intervene in those instances.
Do you have the independentent panel's review of the incident? I'd be interested to see what they said around Dom having control of the ball, as the laws dont state that at all as per the above. Like i've said the narrative around red cards and DOGSO have been watered down so much people believe the player fouled needs to be in control of the ball with the outcome guarenteed to be a goal. Which isnt true at all.

There's literally a Brighton player getting back onto the goal line when Dom goes down :cry:

1:05

Do you have the independentent panel's review of the incident? I'd be interested to see what they said around Dom having control of the ball, as the laws dont state that at all as per the above. Like i've said the narrative around red cards and DOGSO have been watered down so much people believe the player fouled needs to be in control of the ball with the outcome guarenteed to be a goal. Which isnt true at all.
You said they were near the ball? They weren't :confused: There was nobody challenging Szobo from taking a his shot from 12 yards out, almost in the centre of the goal with the keeper in no man's land.

And the panel don't publish their verdicts however journo's get given info when they ask - Dale Johnson confirms it here when he was asked on twitter.

edit: and here's Dale's piece where he covers the incident, detailing the reasons why it wasn't given as a red.

And again, I think that incident (and to a lesser extent the Ederson one) should be classed as an obvious goalscoring opportunity but the current interpretation of the rules means that if the player isn't running directly through on goal and with the ball close by, it often won't be given as a red.

Last edited:
You said they were near the ball? They weren't :confused: There was nobody challenging Szobo from taking a his shot from 12 yards out, almost in the centre of the goal with the keeper in no man's land.
I said there could be an argument for 1 or 2 Brighton defenders being close to the ball :confused:
And the panel don't publish their verdicts however journo's get given info when they ask - Dale Johnson confirms it here when he was asked on twitter.
Thats annoying, would have thought they would be for transparancey sake.
And again, I think that incident (and to a lesser extent the Ederson one) should be classed as an obvious goalscoring opportunity but the current interpretation of the rules means that if the player isn't running directly through on goal and with the ball close by, it often won't be given as a red.
Yes and we come back to my original point, the current narrative or 'interpretation' around attacking players and control of the ball is wrong as per the IFAB law.

I said there could be an argument for 1 or 2 Brighton defenders being close to the ball :confused:

Thats annoying, would have thought they would be for transparancey sake.

Yes and we come back to my original point, the current narrative or 'interpretation' around attacking players and control of the ball is wrong as per the IFAB law.
There wasn't anybody close to the ball though :/ I agree on the 2nd point but as has been discussed around the different interpretations of offside in the PL to UEFA comps, individual leagues decide how they interpret the laws of the game as they're subjective.

I agree on the 2nd point but as has been discussed around the different interpretations of offside in the PL to UEFA comps, individual leagues decide how they interpret the laws of the game as they're subjective.
the PL seemingly wants as much subjectivity involved in the game as possible, probably think its good for the brand

The TV fixtures are so annoying, how can Sky show West Ham v Wolves over Arsenal v Brighton :o
Only another season and a half of this. Next tv rights deal all the non 3pm Saturday games are televised.

Not sure what the Prem will do to eek more cash out of the broadcasters after that as they'll have laid all the cards on the table apart from opening the forbidden door of either moving more 3pm games or actually televising them!

Maybe used their maximum number of fixtures televised for the Arse on a Sunday?
There's no maximum, there is however a minimum number of times a side must be broadcast and that's probably the issue. Sky will want to get some of their minimum quota of Wolves games out of the way before the end of the season. The last thing they want is not to be able to show a big relegation or title match because they're contracted to show Wolves - Palace.

I seem to be the only person that doesn't think it was a red. There wasn't enough in it for it to be serious foul play imo and given that he was running away from goal and City had players tracking back, I'm not sure it was a clear goalscoring opportunity either. At best he was having a shot from a very tight angle with City players on the line.
I'm with you, surprised by the number of people calling for a clear red. It was a yellow card tackle, and there was cover.

Could you get two yellows for the same tackle? One for the nature of the foul and one for the part of the pitch?

I'm with you, surprised by the number of people calling for a clear red. It was a yellow card tackle, and there was cover.

Could you get two yellows for the same tackle? One for the nature of the foul and one for the part of the pitch?
I'm fairly sure you can't get two bookings for the same tackle. Fwiw the cover is only a mitigating factor, it's the fact he's knocked the ball away from goal that's probably saved Ederson.

Back
Top Bottom