Greenlizard0 Premier League Football Thread ** spoilers ** [24th - 26th February 2024]

Soldato
That bird from TNT asking daft questions on the pitch after the game. :rolleyes: Why do they do that these days? It adds absolutely nothing and it’s just an awkward situation for them all.

Soldato
13 conceded in our last 5 games. Howe will be getting the bullet at this rate !
That 3 man midfield doesn't work without big Joe. There's no bite. Can't remember the last time i seen Longstaff even attempt a tackle. Bruno can't touch anyone atm or hes gone for two games. Just watched the extended highlights seems Botman had a shocker!!

Soldato
That 3 man midfield doesn't work without big Joe. There's no bite. Can't remember the last time i seen Longstaff even attempt a tackle. Bruno can't touch anyone atm or hes gone for two games. Just watched the extended highlights seems Botman had a shocker!!

Yeah he's been a totally different player since his injury(for the worse), all this compounded by not having Pope.

Man of Honour
Unfortunately a symptom of the poor squad building. When key players are out the replacements are either injured or can't provide any of the same strengths. Lindelof can't provide 1% of what Shaw does, he's just not a fullback. Rashford can only play standing on the shoulder up front which is the complete opposite with how we've been using Hojlund. Varane/Maguire can't progress the ball over short distances the way Martinez can etc. We need years of squad rebuilding if we're ever going to get to the stage of being able to play the same type of football with so many players out. Our style of football is not good enough but the injuries and lack of depth haven't helped trying to develop it.

I totally get all of this, however I am trying to focus a bit on the manager and what he's doing. Of course it's more difficult with lots of injuries. However, it genuinely feels like the team are not coached, if we play well and win, that's just something that happens, I don't see any sort of game plan. We've had a fairly good run lately and some half decent performances at times, but did any of it come from the manager, or tactics? It doesn't feel like it.

Also, I don't think he comes across that well; it's not a language thing, people say he's the same in Dutch. I don't see any of the players warming to him.

He's had quite a bit of time, signed some players he wanted specifically, and I would say the football is no better than it was under Ole or even, dare I say it, Rangnick.

So yes, we can give him another couple of transfer windows and sign some better players, but has ETH earned that? I am far from convinced. I think there's a small chance there is an elite manager in there somewhere, and maybe with the football operation running better, he can drastically improve things, but it doesn't feel particularly likely.

I think as there's no obvious replacement, we may as well let him see out the season, but I suspect the new directors will be looking at alternatives.

Man of Honour
Couple of interesting Man Utd bits from MNF last night:

Analysis of the absolutely woeful tactical setup in terms of defending/pressing. This has been going on for ages now with no improvement.

Neville, quite unusually, calling out the manager too and being critical. More or less worded as though he thinks he should get the boot.

Back
Top Bottom