Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [8th - 10th November 2019]

Don
Disagree re Southgate. One thing he hasn't got is an ego. He's always come across a decent sort of person and I just think he's doing what he thinks is the correct thing. By meeting it head on and being clear about what action has been taken it allows Southgate, as much as possible, to focus on the games ahead. No doubt he'll be asked about the situation in interviews and press-conferences but he can now simply reply with "we've made our statement and we'll move on", instead of being bombarded with "will Sterling play?" questions pre-game and "why didn't Sterling play" post game.

Sterling's the one that's caused the situation and he should be the one taking the flack for this, not Southgate.

Associate
I think it's better to be honest about it than have a spurs situation develop. Remember a couple weeks back? players showing up with black eyes and talk of players sleeping with each others wives, divided team etc etc. What really happened there? I don't know but it's probably not as bad as the stories the press made up.

Caporegime
lol at Southgate getting the blame, if Sterling was some fringe player you’d not be arsed. When he inevitably does **** all at the next WC he’ll get a **** load of abuse and called the worst player like last time.

Soldato
Players have bust ups at the training ground all the time difference is they man up and then get on with it

In this instance southgate has gone at it like a bull in a china shop and thrown sterling under the media bus

Don
This idea that training ground bust ups happen 'all the time' is a massive exaggeration but even so, how many of these instances are competely unprovoked as has been suggested in this case? Equally the idea that Southgate's thrown him under the media bus is nonsense too. The original story was from Sami Mokbel who is to Aidy Ward (Sterling's agent) what Duncan Castles is to Mourinho/Mendes, his pet dog - it's pretty clear that Sterling's own camp leaked the news, reporting it was banter that went a bit too far, as a damage limitation exercise because Sterling was being dropped and one way or another the reason why was going to come out. Southgate/the FA only released their statement after the story broke.

Caporegime
This idea that training ground bust ups happen 'all the time' is a massive exaggeration but even so, how many of these instances are competely unprovoked as has been suggested in this case? Equally the idea that Southgate's thrown him under the media bus is nonsense too. The original story was from Sami Mokbel who is to Aidy Ward (Sterling's agent) what Duncan Castles is to Mourinho/Mendes, his pet dog - it's pretty clear that Sterling's own camp leaked the news, reporting it was banter that went a bit too far, as a damage limitation exercise because Sterling was being dropped and one way or another the reason why was going to come out. Southgate/the FA only released their statement after the story broke.

I think you’re being ignored and no one cares about anything than their predetermined opinion of the scenario :D

also lol at the notion players turn up with facial wounds all the time :D

Don
I know Purds but like Southgate loves his players, I love all you guys too and I won't give up on any of you. Maybe thestig but nobody else.

Soldato
Players have bust ups at the training ground all the time difference is they man up and then get on with it

In this instance southgate has gone at it like a bull in a china shop and thrown sterling under the media bus
I think they've all handled it really well. Meet it head on, be honest about it, get it in the open, and diffuse it before it gets worse. Sterling's apologised in a sincere way, his apology has been accepted, and everyone appreciates the importance of both players to the squad, and more broadly the importance of not having this kind of thing festering.

Associate
After seeing the scratch this morning I don't think it would have gone unnoticed either with press rumblings so Southgate had no choice but to say something.

Do have to question if Sterling was trying to claw at his eye though.

Caporegime
Usually anyone who fights outside of a ring with Queensbury rules old bean. In my experience anything goes when the other person is out to do you damage , but you just carry on in your boxing stance

the other person being stood still and not trying to fight you lol, it wasn’t a scrap just Sterling scraping close to Joe’s eye, chum

Back
Top Bottom