Grrr Sony CRT driving me mad

Soldato
I can't work this one out. The wife's machine has had a Sony 200PS CRT running on an X700 Pro for nearly a year with no problems. Last night I did a clean install of Windows cos the machine was a bit of a mess. Now I can't get the monitor working properly.

It's basically stuck on 60Hz refresh, even tho according to the monitor settings it's on 100Hz. If I switch between 60Hz and 100Hz it looks exactly the same.....infact the monitor doesn't even seem to try and switch. I'm using the Sony 200PS driver that comes with Windows (the one we always used...) and it in display properties it says "Sony 200PS on ATi X700 Pro". So all seems well :confused:

To add to the confusion, the ATi Catalyst software doesn't seem to recognise it - it shows as "default VGA monitor" and can't give any info on the monitors capabilities.

I've tried re-installing the monitor drivers, Cat drivers (2 different versions) and even the NET framework stuff. No joy. Any ideas? :confused:

Associate
Have you updated the driver through the update driver tab in the control panel?

Have you looked at your screen aspect ratio settings in the ati control panel, the one that sets how the screen changes when resolution change or when an image that does not fit the screen properly is set. You want to set it so your monitor decides the ratio not your graphics card. This maybe why you cannot change the refresh rate at all. This happend to me the other week.

Also you can use http://hem.spray.se/doxx/ so you can manually set the refresh rate at any resolution.

Soldato
OP
Gah, it makes no sense...

OK, if I try and update the drivers through the control panel it just finds a default VGA monitor - I have to actually select the 200PS from the list manually. This is what I did before with no issues.

I can't do much in the ATi control panel because it doesn't recognise the monitor at all. I'm pretty sure the problem is with monitor driver, which is in turn affecting the Cat drivers.

Black Dog - when I try and run that utility you linked to it says "no drivers found" and, again, can't give me any details on my monitor. If I force it to 100Hz anyway and hit set it seems to think it's done it......but the display is still obviously at 60Hz as it's flickering like crazy.

I've run out of ideas now :(

Associate
Does the Sony 200PS have its own driver on disk rather than using the one from windows? If not have a look on their website to see if there is a .inf file to download.

Associate
Try going into DISPLAYS in the ATI settings control panel. Disable DDC and you should be able to set the refresh rate manually. there is also an option for Refresh Rate Override.

The monitor may not support DDC

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the suggestions - I've tried them all. Still no joy. It's very weird. I'm now re-installing Windows and starting again. The only thing I can think of is that I somehow messed something up - when I first installed the Cats I forgot to install the NET framework stuff first and it got huffy. Maybe it corrupted something somewhere.

At least I hadn't started installing stuff yet :) I'll see if this does the trick and report back...

Soldato
OP
Still the same :mad:

I really don't understand. It's like the drivers for the monitor just aren't working....but they worked before....and I've tried two different versions. I'm at a total loss now.

Soldato
Weird. You could try something like ReForce and actually remove 60 Hz from the monitors properties. ReForce basically edits the registry and removes all refresh rates except the one you specify, for a particular res. So you'd set 1280*1024 or whatever res you use to 100 Hz and windows would think that was the only refresh rate available in that res.

All I can guess is for some reason windows doesn't think the monitor can do 100 Hz and is refusing to set the monitor to that, even though it says it's in that refresh rate.

You could also try the non-.net non-CCC cat drivers, since they're so much simpler to work with. CCC has tons of weird and mysterious settings. Also have a look what the 'hide modes this monitor can't do' setting is on.

One last thing, are you using the same VGA cable you always used, and is it one that detaches from the monitor? Some VGA cables carry DDC info and some don't.

Soldato
OP
OMG - I finally fixed it!

Fish - I did as you suggested and tried some old Cats (5.1) that just use the basic control panels. It still didn't work and wouldn't let me use refresh override, however I tried setting the max res of the monitor to 100Hhz (something I tried in the new Cats which made no difference...) and it suddenly switched to 100Hz! It's still saying the monitor is not DDC compatible when I know it is....so it's not working 100%. But still, it's essentially working...finally.

Thanks for the help :)

Back
Top Bottom