Gskill DDR-4 2x8GB great but 4x8GB unstable

Associate
Hi any help or advice on this would be great!

I have 4x8gb sticks of GSkill DDR-4 memory (actually DDR4-4266Mhz but I run them at 3866Mhz and I haven't tried to get 4133Mhz to run yet). My issue is 2x8GB seems to work great, Prime95 holds stable at the timings and speed I'm using plus the temps from my slower ram @ 3200Mhz only went up a 2-3 degrees C more, but when I use 4x8GB at 3866Mhz it fails Prime95 with either a bsod or auto reboots as soon as it hits the second test, not to mention the temps go up more to about 6-7 degrees C as well which I was getting uncomfortable with (now reaching the mid-80s in temps). Is this something to do with the memory controller not being able to cope with the sheer speed and power I'm throwing at it as I do have a 7700k OC'd to 5Ghz as well. I thought the difference between using 2x8 and 4x8 would be negligible if they were run at the same speed, but I'm thinking 4x8 will have a lot more strain on the memory controller on the motherboard. I've tried throwing more volts to the SA, IO and RAM but to no success, I find it hard to believe I would need to loosen the timings as I'm underclocking the RAM anyway.

My specs:
Delidded i7 7700k @5Ghz (stable at 1.34V)
Asus Maximus IX Code with lastest bios (0906)
Corsair H100i GTX with 2x Corsair ML-120 fans.
The memory I'm using is 4x8GB GSkill Trident Z RGB DDR4-4266Mhz underclocked at 3866Mhz. I bought two packs of 16GB (2x8GB) seperately at the the same time but I checked and they are all the same part make.

Back
Top Bottom