GT Racing Popularity

Soldato
Was watching a Blancpain GT3 race over the weekend (Monza). And was left wondering why GT racing isn't as popular as F1!

It seems strange that watching prototypes race against one another would have such a following. I like F1. But feel that GT racing is more enjoyable to watch. As there cars involved are not (for the most part) prototypes. They're racecars based on production cars..... Something that we can all relate to!

So what are your thoughts?

Why isn't GT racing more popular?

Man of Honour
I've always wondered why other forms of motor racing aren't more popular - I find F1 dull as **** to watch but some of the others are far more eventful - I'm not a great fan of it but "even" BTCC is far more interesting in terms of what is unfolding before you.

I wondered if it was due to F1 having some of the names like Ferrari but some other forms of racing aren't short on big supercar maker names.

Soldato
OP
I love GT racing. I often watch the highlights, I just don't have time to sit down and watch a 3+ hour race, though.

And I think that is categorised as a sprint race lol.

I do agree though. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) their shortest races are around 3 hrs. An hour and a half. I could do without taking a break. But three hours or more will just see me dipping in and out of the coverage.

I think I love F1 for the wrong reasons. All the drama and politics. Like a soap opera at times. Wheresas Rally (which imo requires far more skill than driving an F1 car) and GT racing tend to stick to what happens on circuit m

Last edited:
Soldato
Blancpain is probably the most popular worldwide GT series. Sprint races are usually an hour - they do a qualifying race and then the main race. Both are an hour and the qualifying race sets the starting order for the main, plus points are awarded for both (though points are fewer for the qualifying race).

The thing I generally dislike about GT racing, particularly the endurance side, is that fewer teams are competitive than you'd like, and being only one race, the finishing order can be near enough decided very early on. GT racing benefits massively from being multi-class, whether GT3 and GT4, or mixed in with prototypes as in the WEC.

If you've doubted whether you'd like endurance races, try some of the 6 Hour WEC events (the 2018 season kicks off with Spa on the 5th May). It sounds like a very long time, but with LMP1, LMP2 (both prototype classes), GTE Pro and GTE Am, there's four races going on simultaneously, and the large speed differential between each class means there's always action on track. It also introduces an extra element of driver skill: passing slower cars without losing time. The cars are not generally required to dive out the way when approached by faster cars - they're racing too afterall, so the quicker classes must work around the other cars. I generally find the time flies, whilst with F1 I'm frequently calculating in my head how much longer the race has to go - a surefire demonstration that I'm actually bored.

Soldato
GT Racing is my favourite type of racing. However, the balance of performance is what makes the racing action a lot closer and driver skill shine. I know F1 is regulated but the reason you get trains where the fastest cars get away from the slowest all the time is because they don't have quite as aggressive BoP. Still, I'll watch anything with an engine racing.

Soldato
I think outside of motorsport enthusiasts, the fact the cars are more 'normal' is exactly why it isn't as popular these days.

F1 is 'racing cars', GT is a bunch of normal looking cars with big spoilers. People are more interested in the cars than the racing, F1 cars are more interesting than GT cars (for the average Joe).

GT is also not as 'simple' to follow. F1 is F1, it's one series, self contained, no confusion. 'GT' is a bit more confused and difficult to figure out what to watch.

FIA WEC? Blancpain GT? IMSA? FIA GT Championship? European LeMans? GT1? GT2? GT3? GT4? That's barely scratching the surface. Which is the 'one to watch'? Which one will your mates be talking about at work next week?

Soldato
I went to see DTM at the Nürburgring last year, at a wonderful weekend of racing was had. The only reason I went to see DTM there was it was the one weekend I could get off from work that’s hadn’t some kind of event happening st the ring.

This year we’re headed down to the ring again in September for the Blancpain GT3 weekend; I’ve started watching the Races through YouTube. Makes it much much easier to watch retrospectively in comparison to F1 as an example. Eg, i’m On a night shift currently and watching the Monza endurance race :D

Caporegime
Lack of marketing and coverage is the reason why most other series aren't more popular than F1, most people couldn't name a driver from other series but F1 drivers are basically celebrities.

For me at this point the most interesting stuff that happens in F1 are debates around events, as a racing series it's been over-regulated and dumbed down to oblivion. I can't even bare to watch this season with that stupid over the top driver cage it's too comical.

Soldato
I follow both British GT and Blancpain. SRO have made a good decision this year and all races are streamed live on GTWorld youtube channel. This means you can go back at any time and watch the race back at your leisure, which is good as some are long. MMJ if you think F1 is over regulated then GT racing is not for you, BOP, success penalties, Pro pairing penalties, it does artificially limit the performance but it creates entertaining racing. BES grids are the best you will ever see though, 50 cars all the same class (not driver pairings though), I don't think there are many high level series with grids like that.

Soldato
OP
I just think it has so much potential. As said if marketed correctly... It could most definitely be as big if not bigger thay F1.

I've only ever been to one GT race. Over in Donnington for a British GT race. Was a great day out... Cheap too. And the level of access was really surprising.

Soldato
I just think it has so much potential. As said if marketed correctly... It could most definitely be as big if not bigger thay F1.

I've only ever been to one GT race. Over in Donnington for a British GT race. Was a great day out... Cheap too. And the level of access was really surprising.

Second this, again DTM last year, you could walk into the pits and see teams working on cars through perspex from literally 2/3 feet away. It was glorious :)

Back
Top Bottom