• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1070 code 43 failure

Soldato
Hi all

I’m trying to install a GTX 1070 but running up against problems when installing the driver. Every time I try an install it gets nearly to the end then tells me the display driver has failed to start and it reverts to the windows basic driver. Device manager then shows a code 43 error for the card. The card is recognised by GPUz although it won’t read clocks and voltages without the driver.

Things I’ve tried:
DDU in safe mode twice
Reseating the card twice
Two different pcie power cables
Disabling onboard graphics in bios
Updating bios to latest version
Installing an older driver

The card was bought from a trusted member on here and I suspect the problem is at my end rather than with the card. I’ve been offered a return and refund if I can’t make it work which is very generous but I’d much rather keep the card and make it work.

Rig spec:
Gigabyte H310m
i7 8700
EVGA 550W
Windows 10 home

Any help greatly appreciated!

Soldato
OP
My other PC is mini ITX so difficult but not impossible to test the card. I’d need to take the motherboard out of the case (and probably everything else due to the short cable runs).

Reinstalling Windows is probably a good idea.

I’ll try both at the weekend if I haven’t made any progress.

Associate
Try installing geforce experience first then install the driver through that. I had that issue when I installed windows 10 and it refused to install the drivers but worked doing it the other way

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the ideas. I’ve now got it running on an older driver(419.67) and it stayed stable for a couple of hours of Gears of War 4 this evening. Clocks are correct and it’s putting out 120fps at 1080p with everything maxed.

It still won’t install the latest driver or the one before that and I’m stumped as to why. Has this particular driver been causing anyone else problems?

Soldato
Thanks for all the ideas. I’ve now got it running on an older driver(419.67) and it stayed stable for a couple of hours of Gears of War 4 this evening. Clocks are correct and it’s putting out 120fps at 1080p with everything maxed.

It still won’t install the latest driver or the one before that and I’m stumped as to why. Has this particular driver been causing anyone else problems?

I have a 1070 and the latest driver installed OK.

Have you tried installing the "clean" drivers?

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/430-64-clean-version.421390/

Soldato
OP
It's now fixed. It turned out to be a conflict with Duet Display (a really useful app which allows you to use an ipad as a second monitor). Irritating that I've had to uninstall it but glad I've got to the root of the problem without having to reinstall all my stuff.

Back
Top Bottom