• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1080 FE Coil Whine

Soldato
Forgot anout the grace period to send it back. So yea do it asap. Not seen many ppl complain about the 1080 whining so id send it back for another maybe?

Associate
My 1080 has coil wine and its definitely not my psu as none of my other cards made any coil wine (780ti/980/Titanx). I just use closed back headphones when gaming :D problem solved lol.

Associate
Coil whine only seems to have been an issue in the last few year for some reason, whats changed so much that its now an issue when 4 or 5 years ago I don't recall many people talking about it at all.

We saw it with the Fury Nano with its high efficiency power design and now with the 1080 which is also a high efficiency design. It seems to me that as gpus get more and more efficient, the products get less tolerant psu wise. Someone should do a psu test with these whining cards and different psu to explore this.

Associate
OP
What PSU do you have? Coil whine can depend on what combination of video card and PSU you use.

You should read this: PSU GUIDE BY GIBBO/8PACK TO PREVENT COIL WHINE

Corsair HX750I 80plus platinum

My 1080 has coil wine and its definitely not my psu as none of my other cards made any coil wine (780ti/980/Titanx). I just use closed back headphones when gaming :D problem solved lol.

Good to see I'm not the only one experiencing this with my 1080.

This is concerning as if someone was to buy a card, watercool it and then it develops coil whine where do they stand? :eek:

This is something I would really like to know too

Soldato
I thought they said they eliminated coil whine in Jensen's speech?

Or am I misremembering? Not sure if the solution was the components or something else but definitely recall there being a slide or two on it.

Associate
I thought they said they eliminated coil whine in Jensen's speech?

Or am I misremembering? Not sure if the solution was the components or something else but definitely recall there being a slide or two on it.

I thought they had said this too ?

either way OP send it back i would after spending over £600 ..you would not keep a new car would you if that was squealing at you

Associate
I am considering sending mine back can be loud at times.

The point is if you buy something and you are not happy with it in any way then that is why we have the 14 day re turn period ...

However what i would be concerned with is
are you able to get another card replaced due to low no stock ..
if not you may be able to arrange with the OCuk that use the card you have until stock arrives but you would have to ask and arrange this.

also make sure you do not get stung with return postage as you should not have to be out of pocket for a problem that is not yours.

Either way you need to notify OCuk ASAP

Associate
Yer i will contact them tomorrow and will just pop the titanx back in for now. They do have some msi and gigabyte 1080s in so stock should be ok fingers crossed.

Soldato
It's more like a high pitched clicking/buzzing rathet than an eeeeeeeeeekkkk its very similar to what my gtx 980 had.

I think your right something in black ops 3 caused the card to suddenly start whining and since then it has done it in all games although my frame rate it capped at 144 with my gsync monitor so not sure how it could have caused it its not like 144 frames is particularly high.

(

144fps is high so the GPU is working hard I bet its near 90% hence coil whine. You get it more often when it IS working hard.
Like others have said could be PSU I had it also with a GTX 770, changed PSU for a better 80+ one and it was fine.
Try turning gsync off, vsync on in games and dont cap the fps see what happens.

Oh and which model of 1080 is it and has the warranty gone cos you removed the cooler. eg Zotac

Last edited:
Soldato
How many people even have them atm?

What I mean is, if it's only a few units affected you would expect it to take a long time for reports to start coming in. But also if it is a widespread problem it should have been detected in QA.

Back
Top Bottom