GTX 1080 overclocking

Associate
Hi all

With GPU prices not looking like they're going to improve much over the next year, I've decided to take another look at overclocking my 1080.

It's stable at 2088 in most games on a quick and dirty Afterburner overclock, but I've managed to get it stable with a 2114 curve. This sticks as long as temps stay under around 60c. Am I likely to get better results if I add an AIO?

I've got MSI Armor, so it's better than stock, but I'm not sure how it would compare to a Morpheus II or a 120mm Kraken...

Soldato
May get a notch better as pascal drops off in steps as it gets warmer, and able to maintain a more consistent boost, but that is still a very reasonable boost clock speed and even under water your unlikely to get much better. 2.1 GHz or so steady is a pretty good clock for daily performance. Will likely squeeze a few more MHz out of it but not anything that would likely translate into a difference to your gaming performance.

Associate
OP
Yes and no. You can just maximise the power, temperature, and voltage sliders in afterburner and it'll boost a little higher (probably the safest way if you're just starting out). If you want to push it further, you can raise your core and memory clocks the old fashioned way, which works up to a point, but the best way is to tweak the bost curve as it's more stable. It's more fiddly, and you need to know what your maximum safe clock is, but it pays off in the long run. My (potentially incorrect) understanding is that your card will boost to a voltage limit (1093 mV max). As temperatures rise, the voltage is reduced to bring temperatures back down. If you overclock the traditional way, you end up trying to maintain the same clockspeed at a lower voltage, which will be unstable. If you've tweaked the curve, it just reduces clockspeed in-line with the voltage drop. So for me I'll boost to 2114 initially, then drop to 2101 after a while and possibly settle at 2088 if it gets really toasty.

Soldato
here is some information for you if you didnt know already.

pascal over clocking does not yeld good results apart from showing better in synthetics........

for instance a 2000mhz overclock vs 2100ghz overclock = 2-3fps better at max load under extreme game stress.
i have been overclocking both my cards and can reach 2140ghz under water with high volltage.
and in the long run for 2-3fps more and extra heat its not worth the bother.

also there are things you need to watch out for, its not just heat that can drop clocks
but there is also a power limit you have to watch out for when gaming that can decrease performance / clk cyles ect ect but there is a way to bypass that if you flash a limit removal bios i think asus bios or might be another name that i cant remember off hand but if you use that it defaults at 2000mhz out the box with limit removed.
its probably your best optimal bios to use and its what i use....

its really is just not worth it going 2100+ghz lol :)

----------------------------------

EDIT: actually take back everything i said, you have a 1080 not a 1080TI lol just woken up so my bad doh.....

Soldato
@ViRuS2k depends on the card and screen for trying to get the max. specially with a 1080ti at 4k- and trying to push above a min frame rate of 30 fps.

one thing that reviewers starting to show more of with their Overclocking, the min frame rates... rather have gained higher min fps then highest when gamign through overclock- this is the FPS that can kill smooth game play

Soldato
I did a "quick and dirty" overclock last night and managed 2050/11000 and seems all fine, need to test a bit more and hopefully push it higher, stayed under 90 degrees which I set the temp limit to!

Associate
OP
The only issue with a slider overclock is what's happening in the background. From my experience, depending on your voltage settings in Afterburner, you card will boost to 1093mV until temps hit about 60c. At that point, it'll drop down to 1081mV, then 1075mV. With a voltage curve, your clock speed will reduce in line with the drops, but with a slider OC it'll try to mainatin the same clock speed. This means you're trying to sustain the same clocks with less voltage, so it's worth fiddling around with the curve to get the most out of it and eliminate stability issues...

Back
Top Bottom