• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1080 Ti OC Strix cooling modification

Associate
If I made some mod. to my GPU 1080 Ti Strix by putting some thermal pads like 12w/mK (Non-Electrical Conductive and Non-Corrosive) 2mm thickness under that backplate somewhere under the vram and memory, would it do some bad to gpu like not spreading heat properly or something, or would it be good by lowering the temps on my gpu ?

Associate
I'm pretty sure Asus would have thought of this, if it were a viable solution then would they have implemented some further cooling solution during production.

All cards run hot, my 2080ti could fry an egg with the heat in the back plate, the trick is getting that heat out of the case.

Associate
OP
Why did EVGA put it on 2080 Ti ?

Code:
https://xdevs.com/doc/_PC_HW/EVGA/ocg_tu102/bpoff.jpg

I think that Asus didn't put it because they want to save some money or something. Their cooling is great in fact, I test it.

But my question is should I try when my warranty is out to put pads like EVGA did it on their 2080 Ti ? Maybe it will remove better heat from the back side of GPU and temps. will be even lower.

Soldato
Why did EVGA put it on 2080 Ti ?

Code:
https://xdevs.com/doc/_PC_HW/EVGA/ocg_tu102/bpoff.jpg

I think that Asus didn't put it because they want to save some money or something. Their cooling is great in fact, I test it.

But my question is should I try when my warranty is out to put pads like EVGA did it on their 2080 Ti ? Maybe it will remove better heat from the back side of GPU and temps. will be even lower.

That's the back plate so it will make hardly any difference.

You could do it now. It's only a few screws. Just don't over tighten when putting it back together

Soldato
I replace all thermal pads on my GPUs , specially when going to water .

on air .... you'll get the heatsink slightly warmer so you'd want fan curve slightly faster , as your transferring heat from component to the heat sink quicker then normal . shame nvidia doesn't have vrm temp sensors like AMD cards have .

back plates can be a trap for heat , specially if case doesn't have strong airflow either positive or negative

Associate
OP

on air .... you'll get the heatsink slightly warmer so you'd want fan curve slightly faster , as your transferring heat from component to the heat sink quicker then normal . shame nvidia doesn't have vrm temp sensors like AMD cards have .

back plates can be a trap for heat , specially if case doesn't have strong airflow either positive or negative

Setup of Fans in my PC are Corsair ML 140mm front, ML 120mm back, top ML 140x2 mm fans. I think that's good enough airflow :D

No water cooling here, just normal cooling but with that pad modification.
EVGA wouldn't do it on 2080 Ti if it's not helping, right ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That's the back plate so it will make hardly any difference.

You could do it now. It's only a few screws. Just don't over tighten when putting it back together

No you can't. You must remove heatsink and all that first, then screws that are holding backplate are under, so without voiding the warranty I can't remove backplate.

Back
Top Bottom