• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1080ti keeps crashing

Associate
I replaced my SLI Titan-X's with a single Zotac 1080ti AMP Extreme. Since I got the card my PC crashes with either TDR errors or it just freezes.
The card is totally stock. Never been overclocked. I only really play CSGO and the only way I can play the game without it crashing is if I set the max fps to 90.

Well, my old titans would run the game at 300fps all day without a glitch. The main reason I got the 1080ti was to get away from SLI. There's nothing showing in GPU-z before or after it crashes (if I'm quick I can Ctrl+Alt+Del from the game before the PC freezes completely).

My rig is a:-
i7 5930k
16Gb RAM
MSI X99S SLI mobo
EVGA SuperNova G1 1000W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply
Phanteks Enthoo Primo case.
The CPU is on a corsair cooler and never goes above 50 degree's.
I know this GPU is a bit power hungry but

Any idea's what could be the issue?

I got Destiny 2 free with the GPU and I can't even play it!!

Cheers

Soldato
I would install Afterburner (to monitor the GPU temp on screen) and run the valley benchmark to stress the card. If it crashes whilst still at stock, likely it's faulty.

Before doing that, I would also uninstall the drivers using DDU, and reinstall the latest driver.

Associate
OP
I've already tried DDU. I've even reinstalled windows and it's still doing it.

I don't think I've tried any benchmarks with this card yet so I'll give that a go.
Shouldn't take long as it freezes withing 5-10 minutes of playing CSGO.

Associate
Have you tried under clocking card or giving it more power in afterburner not voltage just the percentage

I've just had a nightmare with a 1080ti overclocked edition it would t run factory over clock at all but would run at stock speeds with voltage slider across to 110 max

Have sent it back as got fed up ******* about but I had the sane symptoms as you and I came across your card having same issues trailing the internet to fix mine

Soldato
The card is bad and it will only get worse as it ages, it can't hold the stock clocks. I've had 4 Geforce cards which that happened to with the exact same symptoms (TDR errors and total system freezes).

If you look on Nvidia's forum theres loads of posts from people with the same problem on all model of card, going back 6-7 years. But total silence from Nvidia themselves. I suspect it's 3rd party vendors using shoddy components which just degrade really quickly :/

These days I always look in to the quality of the card itself, the VRM, Mosfets etc before buying. Or stick with reference cards.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'll give the benchmark a go before I look at RMA'ing it.
I'm certainly not going to underclock it. I paid a premium for a factory overclocked card.
I've got a GTX980 in my spare PC that I can throw in if I do RMA it. I'm pretty sure it can run CSGO at 90fps so I shouldn't see any performance drop :)

Associate
The underclocking will show u of there's a fault with clocks then u have grounds to send back as it's not running at the stated speeds.

Not to be used as a permanent solution just for piece of mind so u know it's the GPU not anything else

Mine would benchmark fine 30k 3d mark
2478 heaven 1440p

Yet try a game let it scrash then benchmark before restarting your FPS plummet

Associate
OP
I installed the Superposition benchmark and ran it. It starts to stutter and crashes after about 60 seconds.
I then restarted the PC and ran it again in the nvidia debug mode. It lasted longer (maybe 90 seconds) but still stuttered and died. It didn't turn the screen black and freeze the PC like the first time though. The app just stopped displaying and returned me to the desktop. It was still running in Task manager though.

GPU-Z was saying the power consumption was around 95 to 100% (Max was actually 106%). Card temps didn't go above 67 degrees.

Might try some CSGO with the debug mode on and see what happens.

Associate
If you are running nvidea audio driver alongside realtek audio driver they will clash, it causes crashes, not sure why, but I removed the realtek audio driver and it fixed the crashing problem,

Back
Top Bottom