Gtx 460 v GT755m (2 via SLI)

Associate
Hello guys new to the forum so apologies if this is the wrong place,

got a laptop that's maybe 5 years old with 2 GT755M linked via SLI, wanting to play dawn of war 3 which says it needs a minimum of a Nvidia geforce GTX 460 to run.

according to system requirements lab my GT755M card (it doesn't recognise that I have two on SLI) is not as good as the GTX460, any reason for this?

I'm not all that knowledgeable on graphics cards but mine seems to have almost double the spec of the GTX460 and then I have a second one running on top of that.

should I be able to play this game in your professional opinion? all other specs are above the minimums

Thanks in advance for the Info :)

Soldato
looks like a GTX460 out performs the GT755m, the 460 was medium to high end when released, yours was problem low to middle. and the 460 is a desktop CPU. Since it looks like the game is also old and only about £6. might as well try it anyway. if you buy it on steam you can refund if you play less than 2 hours

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply! So is it something other than the speed and memory that causes the difference?

Believe mine was 900ish mhz and 2gb of memory against the gtx460 which had 600ish mhz and 1gb of memory.

Soldato
The GF104 graphics processor is a large chip with a die area of 332 mm² and 1,950 million transistors. It features 336 shading units, 56 texture mapping units and 32 ROPs.

Built on the 28 nm process, and based on the GK107 graphics processor, in its GT 755M variant, the card supports DirectX 12.0. The GK107 graphics processor is an average sized chip with a die area of 118 mm² and 1,270 million transistors. It features 384 shading units, 32 texture mapping units and 16 ROPs.

Transistor count plays a large part - clock speed is an obvious performance measure, but how much the chip can do per clock is a factor too. I think the largest factor is that one is a desktop chip and one is designed for laptops. It will have speed and power limitations in order to let it work within the heat and power limitations a laptop has.

Associate
OP
Ok yeah i suppose that makes sense, graphics cards have always seemed to be against me, that said i have always had laptops
Thanks for the information guys maybe its time for an upgrade.

Soldato
looks like a GTX460 out performs the GT755m, the 460 was medium to high end when released, yours was problem low to middle. and the 460 is a desktop CPU. Since it looks like the game is also old and only about £6. might as well try it anyway. if you buy it on steam you can refund if you play less than 2 hours

GTX 460 was never medium to high it was a budget GPU that performed miracles. Like a 1060 is now. (not the miracle part!)
GTX 470 and GTX 480 was medium to High end

The 460 uses a 256 bit memory bus against the 755m which is 128bit so the memory is faster in the 460.
Even though the 755m is faster and has more Cuda Cores its still a mobile GPU so its slightly cut down which makes the 460 faster due to being a full desktop part (to avoid being technical)

If you had a GTX 750 (they dont make a 755 desktop) v a GTX 460 then the GTX 750 would be faster but only by a smidgeon.

Back
Top Bottom