• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

gtx 580 psu?

Associate
im getting a gtx 580
just wonderinging if the psu i have is gonna cope

system i have
i7 950 @3.8GHz
12 GB ram
2 hard drives ect

psu is
Model: RS-700-ASAA-A1
Type: ATX Form Factor 12V V2.3 / SSI standard EPS 12V V2.91
Input Voltage: 90 ~ 264V (Auto Range)
Input Current: 12A @ 115Vac / 6.3A @ 230Vac
Input Frequency Range: 47 ~ 63Hz
PFC: Active PFC (0.99)
Power Good Signal: 100 ~ 500 ms
Hold Up Time: > 17 ms
Efficiency: >80% Typically
MTBF: >100,000 hrs
Protection: OVP / OCP / OTP / OLP / Short / Full Protection
Output Capacity: 700 Watts Continuous
Max. Output Capacity: 840 Watts
Dimension (W / H / D): 150(W) x 86(H) x 150(L) (mm)
Operation Temperature: 0~40℃(Nominal Input Voltage)
Safety: CE / cUL / TUV / NEMKO / BSMI / FCC

will it power be enough for an overclocked 580
thanks

Associate
Can't find the rail diagram for that psu but u will want to run each connection of a different rail as that psu has 4 rails of 19A each, ideally u would want the 24 pin, the 8 pin cpu and both the pcie cables all running off a different rail.

Caporegime
Can't find the rail diagram for that psu but u will want to run each connection of a different rail as that psu has 4 rails of 19A each, ideally u would want the 24 pin, the 8 pin cpu and both the pcie cables all running off a different rail.

The OP doesn't have any choice in the matter.

The 24 pin and 8 pin connectors are hardwired to the PSU so they'll just run from whatever rail(s) they're connected to.

It only has 2 PCI-E power connectors, both of which will be needed for the GTX 580, so again they'll just run from whatever rail(s) they're connected to.

Associate
OP
The OP doesn't have any choice in the matter.

The 24 pin and 8 pin connectors are hardwired to the PSU so they'll just run from whatever rail(s) they're connected to.

It only has 2 PCI-E power connectors, both of which will be needed for the GTX 580, so again they'll just run from whatever rail(s) they're connected to.

not sure what this means lol but does it mean the GTX 580 will run ok with overclock too

Associate
Well i did see the modular cable config and tbh i failed to see that he has no options what so ever in this, according to my maths a stock 580 will pull around 18w at full load so even if that psu is running both pcie cables from the same rail he is ok, i would think that the design of that psu would put the 24 pin and the 8 pin cpu cables on different rails but the molex/sata stuff really don't need thier own rail but could share a bit of each so maybe the 2 pcie cables are from different rails too, long story to short, if both pcie cables are on the same rail then overclocking the gpu imo is gonna be pushing that rail pretty close if not over the specified amperage.
I used to run a single 580 off an Antec TPQ 850w but if i remember correctly that used to have 4 rails of 25A each and i did run both pcie cables from the same rail and i did manage to overclock pretty heavily to i think 962 on the core @ 1.15v without issues.

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm, i thought it was around 219w, had a few beers and i didn't check was just off the top of my head, i think we need more info on the actual psu and the rail distribution to be sure, i'll post this up in another forum where i know ther are some real psu enthusiasts and see what i get back.

Associate
to save starting another thread, i wondered if a GTX 480 Will be ok (tempotallily) in and old PC (Striker II Nvidia nForce 780i) that my brother has. the psu is a SEASONIC S12 600 WATT. his other GFX card (X850) has borked. It has a fx-55 cpu in.

Don't want to blow his psu up, if it even fits in hi pc that is

EDIT, its not a Striker II, its an older MSI K8N Neo4 MOBO

Ant

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom