• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gtx 680 power needs

Associate
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and was hoping for some insight. I have a BFG 800W power supply and have just bought a evga gtx 680 ftw 4GB. And was wondering if the power supply should be able to power this thing. The model of the power supply is BFGR800WESPSU.

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Bhav

Hi Just wanted to add a image of what the power supply says it can do. Hopefully it will help with my question. The +12V3 and +12V4 are the ones for the PCI express power adapters

Link for image: http://postimage.org/image/dg3bz7f47/

dg3bz7f47

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, You could run 2 680's with that ;)

That is 430Watts on rail 3 and 430Watts on rail 4 the card will need 250Watts max !

Soldato
While im not much of a fan of NVidia, I am though very impressed with the power levels on the 600 series.. pretty darn well done on NVidia part considering how "bad" the 400 series was at that..

Associate
OP
Hi,

Thanks for the response guys. So here is the crazy part.

I thought this should work fine as well but for whatever reason it did not work. get 3 beeps like it cant detect the card. I plugged in a old card i had to confirm the cables from the power supply were ok and they worked 100% . So i sent the card back to overclockers RMA thinking it was no good and they sent it back saying it works ?????????? :confused:

Associate
OP
Hi OptimaLnrg

Yeah plugged in both PCI-e to the system and got nothing tried it with two six pins (think that is all the card actually needs) and even 1 6 pin and 1 8 pin. both cables are on seperate lines on the power supply.

Dont think it should have anything to do with it but i have a older motherboard running PCI-E 1 but the card should be backwards compatible i would think.

I did notice this on the evga site : Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 38 Amps. which is why i thought of the power supply because those lines only do 36 each

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi OptimaLnrg

Yeah plugged in both PCI-e to the system and got nothing tried it with two six pins (think that is all the card actually needs) and even 1 6 pin and 1 8 pin. both cables are on seperate lines on the power supply.

Dont think it should have anything to do with it but i have a older motherboard running PCI-E 1 but the card should be backwards compatible i would think.

I did notice this on the evga site : Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 38 Amps. which is why i thought of the power supply because those lines only do 36 each

No 38 Amps is rubbish, See if there is a later bios for the motherboard.

Associate
OP
The board is a EVGA NFORCE 680i SLI Motherboard and i checked to see if there was a update for that but no luck :(.

Old board but the system itself is still fast

Soldato
Afraid you will need too to get the best from that GFX card ;)

Time the credit card right and award yourself an early Christmas present and you can pay in January.

Associate
OP
So this was driving me crazy and i ended up ripping my machine apart and test it outside of the case and guess what the card started working with my existing powersupply :).

Put everything back in and it started failing again. Anyway the problem ended up being the card was so heavy it was making the motherboard drop a bit and causing a short or something in the PCI E express area.

Worked some magic to make that not happen and the card is working now. All i have to do now is update all the drivers for everything to make sure everything plays nice.

thanks for everyones help

Back
Top Bottom