• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 680 Sli for 120hz Monitor

Associate
I recently went for a second 680 for 1080p 3D gaming and I don't regret it. With 3D you need to maintain a high fps for smooth play as you are effectively seeing half the frame rate and a single 680 wasn't doing it.

If you're not into 3D, the choice is less clear and its really down to if you think you need it. I'd suggest playing your normal games without any kind of fps monitor displayed and see if you notice a lack of performance or smoothness. If not then maybe its not worth it.

Associate
OP
Skyrim dips quite low sometimes and goes sluggish while playing but that could be down to the vram being used up?

It is food for thought, especially since the cheap b grade 680s have now gone.

Caporegime
I am a massive 3D fan and Nvidia do this very well. I game in 3D on triple monitors and it looks awesome. I used 2 680's prior to jumping onto Titans and they coped fairly well but I did need to knock the odd setting down. With 2x680's at 1080P, you will be worry free and frame rates will be good.

Jeps talks sense :)

Associate
OP
Yep I do, thing is I will probably need a new PSU as il have to use Molex to pci-e connectors for the 2nd card, which will make case more messy than it is, and after hearing about Nvidia 3D , I want that kit aswell!

Soldato
Depends on the game and how taxing it is on hardware maybe other factors, i doubt many gpu's will even maintain a constant 60fps let alone 120 fps in some of todays newer titles. Even with 3D it's only 60 frames per eye probably only achieve 30 frames per eye?.

Associate
Maybe there are more demanding games than BF3 @1080/120Hz (64 caspian border) out there now but when I had 670 SLI it felt like a waste of money. Perhaps it was because the 2500k bottlenecks them a bit but when turning off the FPS counter and I barely feel the difference.

3D might be a good reason to go SLI but I never bothered using it after tinkering with it the first couple of days.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Associate
OP
If I go Sli, will my current set up give me problems heat wise?
current idle is around 30c

IMAG09141_zpsb1bad163.jpg

as you can see, there isn't much space between the two

Soldato
If I go Sli, will my current set up give me problems heat wise?
current idle is around 30c

IMAG09141_zpsb1bad163.jpg

as you can see, there isn't much space between the two

You have good cooling, do you have a side fan? I pretty much have the same set up as you cooling wise and I keep my windforce SLI cool with a side fan. :)

Back
Top Bottom