• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX1050 to be launched in October

Permabanned
Here's a question. Why would a budget gamer choose Nvidia over AMD when you can also consider Freesync for AMD for £0?

The main draw for these is that they can be added to the pre-built PC found in most peoples homes to make it more game friendly without needing extra's like another PSU, So most people won't be looking to also upgrade there PC's monitor, Another option is people that want a small, quiet rig to put with there TV, If TV's eventually get adaptive sync great but we'll be many gen's past this before that's the norm

For me the bad bit is the price.
Previously the King for no power connector gaming was the EVGA SC 750ti, It was about £110, it's successor (The new King of pcie only gaming) is the EVGA SC 1050ti which comes in at £170 which is a massive mark up of almost 60%, We are being made to pay for every extra frame with no free generational improvement on offer.

Soldato
That's the thing though, you don't really need to upgrade PSU for the 460 either. I can see the appeal of not needing a 6-pin cable & the low-profile options, but otherwise I think AMD has closed the gap in terms of power draw & heat & cooling & noise.

Permabanned
That's the thing though, you don't really need to upgrade PSU for the 460 either. I can see the appeal of not needing a 6-pin cable & the low-profile options, but otherwise I think AMD has closed the gap in terms of power draw & heat & cooling & noise.

True, but if you want the best performing pci powered option it is the 1050ti. It just doesn't offer anything that really justifies the price increase over the 750ti it replaces in my opinion.
We expect to get an improvement in performance without the additional price increase when a new range of cards releases and that isn't happening here, the only GTX card that managed it this generation was the 1070 which while priced high for -70 cards did offer performance from 2 levels up.

Associate
The power issue is significant for many. My father has Dell with a few years on it. As is often the case the CPU is fine but the GPU is poor (a GT640) and the PSU is a bit of an unknown. So, when looking for an upgrade, a card that can offer 1080p gaming -- albeit with some compromises -- that avoids concerns about power draw is a big plus.

Frankly the pricing isn't that insane and a lot of the web commentary is overblown (as usual). Yes, 150 quid breaks the price performance curve if you're looking at the 470 as the standard but 140 quid is at the comparison boundary and 130 quid would be well in the range based on overall benchmarks and 470 UK pricing with availability. Once the initial stocking situation is sorted I'm sure we'll see that 140 quid mark hit and cards dipping below that won't be far behind.

I can understand why a lot of PC gamers would have no interest in the 1050ti over the 470 with a £20-30 gap because the power issue is irrelevant to them and framerates and cranking the settings on new releases are everything. Not everyone sees things that way, far from it.

Permabanned
The power issue is significant for many. My father has Dell with a few years on it. As is often the case the CPU is fine but the GPU is poor (a GT640) and the PSU is a bit of an unknown. So, when looking for an upgrade, a card that can offer 1080p gaming -- albeit with some compromises -- that avoids concerns about power draw is a big plus.

Haven't we had that available in the 750ti for some time?
You could have done that upgrade 2 years ago so it's not like the 1050ti's offering an option that wasn't already available until now for those particular circumstances.

Associate
Haven't we had that available in the 750ti for some time?
You could have done that upgrade 2 years ago so it's not like the 1050ti's offering an option that wasn't already available until now for those particular circumstances.

Yes, I could have upgraded his PC with a 750ti, but I didn't. So here we are now, discussing the 1050ti.

Soldato
OP
The 1050 Ti is mildly faster, while also consuming far less power and having newer features.

So if you can get them around the same price, go for the 1050 Ti.

Basically the same performance for the last two years at the same price point?

Also,I know people with HP and Dell prebuilt PCs running a GTX960. People forget that a Core i3 based system with a GTX960 probably is consuming less than 200W anyway.

I have a mini-ITX system with a Xeon E3 1230 V2,16GB of DDR3,an SSD,two HDDs and an H40 AIO water cooler.

Unless I run 3DMark,my system was more around the 180W to 190W level at the wall in very intensive games with a GTX660 and the GTX960 was no worse.

Soldato
OP

Frankly the pricing isn't that insane and a lot of the web commentary is overblown (as usual). Yes, 150 quid breaks the price performance curve if you're looking at the 470 as the standard but 140 quid is at the comparison boundary and 130 quid would be well in the range based on overall benchmarks and 470 UK pricing with availability. Once the initial stocking situation is sorted I'm sure we'll see that 140 quid mark hit and cards dipping below that won't be far behind.

I can understand why a lot of PC gamers would have no interest in the 1050ti over the 470 with a £20-30 gap because the power issue is irrelevant to them and framerates and cranking the settings on new releases are everything. Not everyone sees things that way, far from it.

Yes,and yet you forget the other issue - the motherboards.

Certain prebuilt systems from Dell,etc had PCI-E slots which were not fully wired to give 75W from the slot(!).

The GTX750 and GTX750TI are a lower TDP and power consumption class than either the GTX1050 and GTX1050TI. IIRC,they are rated around 50W/55W so could easily fit into older systems. The newer cards are around 75W.

Then you have the other issue - compatability. It is no given these older motherboards will actually work with some of the latest cards,and the fact is those prebuilt systems don't always get suitable BIOS updates either.

For example a mate of a mate who has an old Dell with a Q6600 wanted a new card. I suggested they go with a GTX750TI or GTX950 as they would work - the RX460 had some issues from what I gathered and there is no guarantee the GTX1050/GTX1050TI won't have the same problem.

In fact my GTX960 has a cold boot issue with my current motherboard(its ASRock but I had no choice at the time),so even with newer motherboards you can have issues.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Yes, I could have upgraded his PC with a 750ti, but I didn't. So here we are now, discussing the 1050ti.

I didn't mean anything by it I was just pointing out it isn't offering anything new as there's been a decent upgrade option for anyone in that situation for some time. It's simply a replacement for what was already a decent pcie only card for that particular user base, The sad part is that now the -50ti level card costs over 50% more than it did which has been the negative aspect for all the 10 series cards.

Associate
Yes,and yet you forget the other issue - the motherboards.

I didn't forget it. It's just a null issue as far as a new card upgrade goes. Either a card works or it doesn't. If it doesn't and a BIOS upgrade won't fix it then you've got a return and a whole other set of upgrade paths to consider. The chance that my Dad's Dell won't boot with a 1050ti plugged in doesn't suddenly make the 470, with its equal chance of not working and the added PSU issues and the extra 20-30 quid the choice to make.

This whole conversation is just repeating the same cycle we have with every mid-range/budget GPU. People won't just accept something being decent but not mind-blowing for a certain user. If it's not the new Messiah and blowing the doors off everything then it's rubbish.

bru

bru

Soldato
Just been looking at the prices of these again and I may have to revise my disappointment in them.

Looking at the launch prices of previous *50 series cards.

All prices in USD

650 $110
650ti $150

750 $119
750ti $149

950 $159

1050 $110
1050ti $139

So as we can see they are not really more expensive than previous generations of *50 cards, but with the currant economic climate, things seem worse than they really are.

Basically what we have is a *50 series card that is about 25% faster than the previous *50 series card for a slightly cheaper price, but with the way things are at the moment it just doesn't seem particularly good.

Similar things were said about Polaris especially the 460 and 470, which in the light of this release from NVidia probably means that those thing were probably a little unfair just as my initial thoughts on the price of these cards was as well.

Soldato
OP
I didn't forget it. It's just a null issue as far as a new card upgrade goes. Either a card works or it doesn't. If it doesn't and a BIOS upgrade won't fix it then you've got a return and a whole other set of upgrade paths to consider. The chance that my Dad's Dell won't boot with a 1050ti plugged in doesn't suddenly make the 470, with its equal chance of not working and the added PSU issues and the extra 20-30 quid the choice to make.

This whole conversation is just repeating the same cycle we have with every mid-range/budget GPU. People won't just accept something being decent but not mind-blowing for a certain user. If it's not the new Messiah and blowing the doors off everything then it's rubbish.

You are the one who said the GTX1050TI would be better for older systems with older PSUs and in the end you have forgotten that older systems have other problems.

Its not me stating to get a RX470 INSTEAD - you made that up yourself especially when you on purpose ignored what I said about the RX460.

Dont ever think all of us just buy super duper high end rigs and don't have friends and relatives in the same situation with older rigs. Its a practical problem - not considering motherboard compatability is as big a sin as as not considering the size and age of the PSU for such systems.

And also most retailers won't pay return postage too,and then they could be waiting a week or two for a refund.

This is why I told that chap to get a GTX750TI as soon as he could before they all go EOL. The GTX1050 or the RX460 would be ideal but I am not going to put them through all that hassle of playing compatability games. The RX460 is definitely off the list considering certain issues with certain older systems.

I have a sodding GTX960 FFS - my previous card was a GTX660. So you can roughly tell what kind of price-range cards I buy.

Plus for the last few years I only have had a 450W PSU and don't intend to go any higher.

Edit!!

I also had a Q6600 system with a 975X motherboard before - I always went with a slightly older card in case a new one had issues with my Shuttle motherboard.

The GTX750TI will fit into much more systems than a RX460 or GTX1050/GTX1050TI IMHO.

Heck,even that bus powered GTX950 will too.

Last edited:
Suspended
snip*

Thats depends on cost though, if your asking £160 for a GPU thats 25% slower than one at £170 then people would be right to point that out.

Associate
You are the one who said the GTX1050TI would be better for older systems with older PSUs and in the end you have forgotten that older systems have other problems.

No, I didn't forget it. I've already checked forums and done the usual groundwork as far as you can. I just didn't _mention_ the specific concerns over motherboard compatibility you bring up for the reason I gave above. I also specifically mentioned the 470 as a comparison because that's the one being floated in the post you responded to so forgive me for being consistent.

Associate
Thats depends on cost though, if your asking £160 for a GPU thats 25% slower than one at £170 then people would be right to point that out.

Of course they're okay pointing out if they think a specific card at a specific price point is poor value. I'm commenting on the overall reaction to the 1050 range pricing as if it's completely out of whack and the card offering its a bust, not whatever example or hypothetical you're using.

Back
Top Bottom