• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX1080 started squealing....

Associate
Been fine for the last three months, it's just started in the last week or so, however if I reinstall the driver the the noise completely goes until I restart the machine.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of this? or maybe an easier why to reinitialize the display driver so I don't have install it every time I start the machine. :(

Soldato
Been fine for the last three months, it's just started in the last week or so, however if I reinstall the driver the the noise completely goes until I restart the machine.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of this? or maybe an easier why to reinitialize the display driver so I don't have install it every time I start the machine. :(

is v-sync enabled in the nvidia control panel?

Associate
OP
is v-sync enabled in the nvidia control panel?

For desktop? when it starts it's constantly squealing, just louder in games.

But like I said if I reinstall the driver the noise disappears completely until I restart then it kicks in again after 5-10 minutes of use, very annoying.

Do you think this would warrant a return?

Associate
OP
Is it the card whining or could be as simple as something in the fans only manifesting at certain speeds?

It's coil whine, nothing to do with the fans.

Just re-installed the drivers again and it's dead quiet again..... until tomorrow I guess.

Only solution so far is to reinstall the driver every time I start the PC, or never shut down. :p

Soldato
It's coil whine, nothing to do with the fans.

Just re-installed the drivers again and it's dead quiet again..... until tomorrow I guess.

Only solution so far is to reinstall the driver every time I start the PC, or never shut down. :p

I've never experienced coil whine on the desktop only when the gpu is at load. Is the gpu under any kind of load? Is it 100% the gpu? Not the psu or anything else?

Associate
OP
Put the PC into hibernate mode? Won't shut down completely but won't burn electricity??? Not an ideal setup but won't give you squealing gpu

I don't think leaving the system on is an option, I'll live with it for the time being and hope it eventually goes.

Reinstalling the display driver is a pain every time I start the system but it works, if that didn't work I would have taken the card out already.

Soldato
I don't think leaving the system on is an option, I'll live with it for the time being and hope it eventually goes.

Reinstalling the display driver is a pain every time I start the system but it works, if that didn't work I would have taken the card out already.

Just trying to think why re-installing drivers would change anything and cause the card to stop whining :confused:

Have you checked all nvidia settings, clocks etc at startup before re-installing to see if anything is different?

Back
Top Bottom