• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX1660 Super to an RTX4060

Associate
I passed my old rig onto my son not so long ago and looking at upgrading the graphics card for him. After looking at various cards, the RTX4060 seems to offer a good increase in performance whilst costing under £300.

I suspect it will be bottlenecked by the current system, but I'm not sure by how much and if it could end up not really providing much more than the current graphics card. The processor is an i7-3770k, there's 32GB of ram and the motherboard is an MSI Z77A-G45. Would anyone know just how badly the card would be bottlenecked, or do you reckon it will be ok?

Cheers!

Soldato
AMD have just released the Radeon RX 7600XT which might be worth considering.

Would anyone know just how badly the card would be bottlenecked, or do you reckon it will be ok?

That would depend upon the game. CPU-intensive / high frame-rate games like Rocket League and Valorant yes, but you don't need to upgrade the GPU to play them.

Don
Depends entirely on what games you want to play, at what resolution and what your expectations are?

If you're playing at 1080P and expecting high framerates e.g. 144fps+ then the processor is likely to bottleneck that significantly (as well as affecting average/minimum frame rates).

On the other hand if you mainly play games that are extremely graphics bound, or already have a 1440P monitor for example, then the GPU upgrade might make sense.

It's worth monitoring CPU and GPU usage (using one of the overlay programs e.g. rtss) on the games you play to see what your actual bottlenecks are - it may be your current GPU isn't actually being maxed out due to the CPU already bottlenecking it, making a GPU upgrade pointless.

(Also ignore the online "bottleneck calculators" - yes they might give you a vague idea, but there are too many variables involved - and spitting out a single number of e.g. 40% bottleneck isn't helpful, when different games are affected to different extents)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
No disrespect meant, but I really wouldn't bother with that system.

It was my old rig that he got for free for various tasks but also gaming. It still plays plenty of games perfectly fine and he's got his Xbox Series X as well for gaming.

AMD have just released the Radeon RX 7600XT which might be worth considering.

That would depend upon the game. CPU-intensive / high frame-rate games like Rocket League and Valorant yes, but you don't need to upgrade the GPU to play them.

Cheers. I didn't have a good experience with AMD cards in the past, although it was a long time ago. The game in question is Fortnite. He says it's fine until he gets into an intensive battle and then the fps can drop from c.160fps to around 30fps. He becoming a little obsessed with fps though. I've not looked at his settings yet, I was just browsing cards and thought I'd throw the question out there until I get a chance to check out what's going on.

Depends entirely on what games you want to play, at what resolution and what your expectations are?

If you're playing at 1080P and expecting high framerates e.g. 144fps+ then the processor is likely to bottleneck that significantly (as well as affecting average/minimum frame rates).

On the other hand if you mainly play games that are extremely graphics bound, or already have a 1440P monitor for example, then the GPU upgrade might make sense.

It's worth monitoring CPU and GPU usage (using one of the overlay programs e.g. rtss) on the games you play to see what your actual bottlenecks are - it may be your current GPU isn't actually being maxed out due to the CPU already bottlenecking it, making a GPU upgrade pointless.

(Also ignore the online "bottleneck calculators" - yes they might give you a vague idea, but there are too many variables involved - and spitting out a single number of e.g. 40% bottleneck isn't helpful, when different games are affected to different extents)

It's Fortnite that is causing the problem, as per above. I've not looked at his settings yet or Task Manager / Resource Monitor, I was just having a browse of cards and was wondering about it until I get a chance to look at his system. I'll check it all out though thanks!

Is your CPU overclocked? if not that is the first thing I would do.

I don't think it is, but I was going to try undervolting and tweaking the 1660 Super first and have a look at other options. I'll have a look at the processor as well thanks as I've got a pretty decent heatsink and cooler on it, so hopefully there's some room there for more juice!

Last edited:
Don
The game in question is Fortnite. He says it's fine until he gets into an intensive battle and then the fps can drop from c.160fps to around 30fps. He becoming a little obsessed with fps though. I've not looked at his settings yet, I was just browsing cards and thought I'd throw the question out there until I get a chance to check out what's going on.
Sounds like a CPU bottleneck - once you start monitoring you'll probably see the CPU load spike and the GPU load drop.

It's Fortnite that is causing the problem, as per above. I've not looked at his settings yet or Task Manager / Resource Monitor, I was just having a browse of cards and was wondering about it until I get a chance to look at his system. I'll check it all out though thanks!
Task manager/resource monitor aren't great tools for this - you ideally want an overlay like RTSS so that you don't have to switch away from the game (which can affect monitoring) - if the figures e.g. CPU load / GPU Load are overlaid on the screen you can constantly glance at them

I don't think it is, but I was going to try undervolting and tweaking the 1660 Super first and have a look at other options. I'll have a look at the processor as well thanks as I've got a pretty decent heatsink and cooler on it, so hopefully there's some room there for more juice!
Undervolting and tweaking the GPU will make no difference. Make sure your RAM is running at it's correct speed / XMP profile as that can be worth a good few % if not set. After that then overclocking can help (and the 3770k should overclock pretty well), but it's still a CPU architecture from 12 years ago

Soldato

So you should overclock it, try to keep voltage under 1.3V (people say under 1.35V, but I like to keep safer)
You should get at least 4.2Ghz on all cores, I had an I7-3700k running at 4.5ghz and 1.28V

Associate
Your current GPU may already being bottlenecked by your CPU in some games. Monitor your CPU/GPU usage through afterburner/rivatuner, if GPU is below 90% and CPU keeping over 90% means upgrading GPU won't help you.

Associate
Angry reaction from one poster, but it's not that poster's money being spent..

I'd only go for it if planning to upgrade the system at some point, otherwise you spend a few hundred quid for a bit more eye candy and similar framerates.

Man of Honour
The game in question is Fortnite. He says it's fine until he gets into an intensive battle and then the fps can drop from c.160fps to around 30fps. He becoming a little obsessed with fps though.
I'd definitely have a look into the settings 'n such, esports games used to run on a potato, but with the updates and the higher settings available, it can cause issues.

the RTX4060 seems to offer a good increase in performance whilst costing under £300
For £300, there's only one thing it has going for it: low power consumption (similar to the RX 6600). The price/performance for the money is not great (for 2024, or otherwise) and losing 4GB of VRAM from the previous gen is even more of a windup.

I suspect it will be bottlenecked by the current system, but I'm not sure by how much and if it could end up not really providing much more than the current graphics card. The processor is an i7-3770k, there's 32GB of ram and the motherboard is an MSI Z77A-G45. Would anyone know just how badly the card would be bottlenecked, or do you reckon it will be ok?
It is impossible to say 100%, because like Armageus said, it depends on the game, resolution/settings and your expectations. A 3770K is powerful enough to get most of the performance out of the card in many games (especially if overclocked), but it will struggle with newer AAA games, though I'm afraid the 4060 will too.

Soldato
Cheers. I didn't have a good experience with AMD cards in the past, although it was a long time ago. The game in question is Fortnite. He says it's fine until he gets into an intensive battle and then the fps can drop from c.160fps to around 30fps.

I don't play Fortnite but that sounds like a CPU limitation, not a GPU limitation. Run MSI Afterburner to check and look for a CPU core pegging at 100% in those scenes (Fortnite doesn't use many CPU cores so trying to look for 100% CPU usage isn't useful). I've done a little digging and the i7-3770 is of the minimum generation to play the game; recommended CPUs are 7th gen+. But Afterburner (or other monitoring tools) will give you a definitive answer. It will also be an instructive lesson for your son in how to solve a problem.

Associate
OP
Sounds like a CPU bottleneck - once you start monitoring you'll probably see the CPU load spike and the GPU load drop.

Task manager/resource monitor aren't great tools for this - you ideally want an overlay like RTSS so that you don't have to switch away from the game (which can affect monitoring) - if the figures e.g. CPU load / GPU Load are overlaid on the screen you can constantly glance at them

Undervolting and tweaking the GPU will make no difference. Make sure your RAM is running at it's correct speed / XMP profile as that can be worth a good few % if not set. After that then overclocking can help (and the 3770k should overclock pretty well), but it's still a CPU architecture from 12 years ago

I've got Rivatuner installed along with Afterburner on that machine, it's been a while since I've used the overlay and forgot all about it! Cheers

So you should overclock it, try to keep voltage under 1.3V (people say under 1.35V, but I like to keep safer)
You should get at least 4.2Ghz on all cores, I had an I7-3700k running at 4.5ghz and 1.28V

Thanks for the targets, that will definitely help!

Your current GPU may already being bottlenecked by your CPU in some games. Monitor your CPU/GPU usage through afterburner/rivatuner, if GPU is below 90% and CPU keeping over 90% means upgrading GPU won't help you.

Thanks, I'm going to get the Riva overlay going, hopefully tonight.

Angry reaction from one poster, but it's not that poster's money being spent..

I'd only go for it if planning to upgrade the system at some point, otherwise you spend a few hundred quid for a bit more eye candy and similar framerates.

No worries, I'm happy to get all views and I am conscious of the risk of throwing good money at a problem that may not be solvable with the current rig.

One other thing to bear in mind is a RTX 4060 would be limited to PCI-E 3.0 x8 on that motherboard. This may or may not not further reduce performance.

Cheers, this is why I was wondering if the motherboard chipset etc would be an issue. I was mindful of the PCI stuff with my own rig what with the graphics card and the M.2 drives, so I went with an x570 over the b550. I've got a feeling a better GPU is going to be a bit of a waste of time with my son's computer.

I'd definitely have a look into the settings 'n such, esports games used to run on a potato, but with the updates and the higher settings available, it can cause issues.

For £300, there's only one thing it has going for it: low power consumption (similar to the RX 6600). The price/performance for the money is not great (for 2024, or otherwise) and losing 4GB of VRAM from the previous gen is even more of a windup.

It is impossible to say 100%, because like Armageus said, it depends on the game, resolution/settings and your expectations. A 3770K is powerful enough to get most of the performance out of the card in many games (especially if overclocked), but it will struggle with newer AAA games, though I'm afraid the 4060 will too.

Cheers. I was looking at the PassMark charts and whilst I'm aware that they should be taken with a pinch of salt, I still feel they give a decent enough rough guide. The 4060 appeared to be showing similar performance to my 3060Ti FE. Cards just above the 4060 only seemed to show marginal performance improvements but the price would rise quite fast. The lower power consumption could be a blessing as he's got the damn thing running all the time! lol I think the general consensus here is to see if I can get more out of the current setup. Although, I've still to check his Fortnite settings, chances are he's trying to run 1440p at maximum settings...

I don't play Fortnite but that sounds like a CPU limitation, not a GPU limitation. Run MSI Afterburner to check and look for a CPU core pegging at 100% in those scenes (Fortnite doesn't use many CPU cores so trying to look for 100% CPU usage isn't useful). I've done a little digging and the i7-3770 is of the minimum generation to play the game; recommended CPUs are 7th gen+. But Afterburner (or other monitoring tools) will give you a definitive answer. It will also be an instructive lesson for your son in how to solve a problem.

Cheers, will be getting Riva overlay rocking this evening hopefully. Problem solving with Gen Z is bad enough, never mind Gen Alpha!

Man of Honour
Although, I've still to check his Fortnite settings, chances are he's trying to run 1440p at maximum settings...
:D

The 4060 appeared to be showing similar performance to my 3060Ti FE.
Sure, but that was released 3 years ago and they're asking £300 for a 4060. 8GB of VRAM is also a lot more problematic than it was then and the bus width/bandwidth has been cut substantially.

Cards just above the 4060 only seemed to show marginal performance improvements but the price would rise quite fast.
£250 - £350/400 is a very awkward budget (not that there's much better value at any price :o), since the performance offered has been stagnant for several years and nvidia apparently loves short-changing everyone on vram. 6700 XT was the go to card near £300, but they're getting scarce at these prices and the stock power efficiency is well behind a 4060.

The 7700 XT/6800 non-XT can sometimes be had for decent prices and they're a step above the entry-level 1080p cards, as are the 4070 or 7800 XT.

Soldato
Here are tests of AMD dGPUs vs Nvidia ones on older CPUs:

Associate
OP
I've checked out his Fortnite settings and most were fine, only a few tweaks needed.

3770k now overclocked and the graphics card got a small GPU and Ram overclock.

Looks like the game uses all cores and both the CPU and GPU running quite high but neither maxing out. It is looking like the system as a whole is running at max capacity. When it was my computer I had upgraded the graphics card over the years from a 1080Ti to a 1050 I think it was and then the 1660 Super. I don't think there's any point upgrading any further.

His FPS seems ok now, but it can drop occasionally. Unless he wants to pay for and build a whole new rig I think he will just have to be content.

Thanks for all the help!

PXL-20240125-213817319.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hmmm, it's still randomly stuttering try the fps can still be showing 80+ and neither the CPU or GPU is maxed out. Plenty of ram available and was wondering if it could be the SSD but it's not anywhere near maxing out.

Struggling to figure this one out.

Back
Top Bottom