Guaging interest in Boinc News

Soldato
A recent post about QMC@home sparked a bit of interest from the lurking Boincers on the boards. And even a few signups to the QMC OCUK team.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17699699

This got me thinking.... (don't panic ;) )

How much interest would there be in an occaisional (maybe weekly) Boinc newsletter type post from me rounding up anything going on across all the projects currently available to Boinc?

What I'm suggesting:
News of project results
News of project gremlins/solutions
News of new projects/account creation enabled/open beta/fully live
New starters (maybe)
Team OCUK progress in each project (maybe)

What I'm not suggesting:
Detailed stats of dumpage and stompage like Rich99's Folding updates
(I've got no idea how to implement it :o and that's what stat sites are for. :p )
Using this as a vehicle for stealing Folding@Home Members

The intended purpose:
Improve understanding of the diversity of Boinc projects. It's not just martian hunting, you know..
To stimulate more Boinc Discussion on the boards
and so maybe bring some Boinc lurkers out into the open and get more active posters.
To try and give an insight into the science behind all the crunching and some discussion about that.
(There are some knowledgable people on the OCUK boards and I want to leech their knowledge :D)

Most likely time for an update would be Friday afternoons as I work a four and a half day week.

So...
Is it worth me doing? Who'd read it? What do you want to read in it?
Any and all comments below please.

Last edited:
Soldato
As above - I'd read it, but slim chance of conversion to the dark side ;) , but it's always nice to know what other DC'er are doing :D
Seti was always a turn off for me, but many of the other bonic projects are really intresting. Tried a few time to widen the farms output but the firewalls here at work only like stanford. (more that my jobs worth to tweek them for a non work issue)

Soldato
BillytheImpaler said:
Absolutely do it. I would read it even though I'm a FAH zealot. Any DC info will interest me. The content ideas you've mentioned sound great to me.
what he said ^^^

I would be more interested in a roundup of what's going on than a stats post (as I'm not planning on shifting from F@H anytime soon) - it can only help draw more people in to the community :)
I've tried a few other projects in my time so I'm sure plenty of others would like to know what's new and what's in the works

It may of course draw people away from Folding but if they're getting bored I'd much rather they try something else and stay active in the community than just disappear without a trace.

Weekly would be good - however fortnightly might make it less of a mission for you, unless someone is interested in being responsible for part of it.

Soldato
OP
rich99million said:
Weekly would be good - however fortnightly might make it less of a mission for you, unless someone is interested in being responsible for part of it.

That's clearly the voice of experience speaking. :D

We'll see how it goes. You won't be getting War and Peace every Friday teatime, that's for sure. :p

If other Boincers want to get involved I'd welcome it. :)
My projects are Rosetta, Einstein, LHC, Leiden, SIMAP and SETI/Astropulse.
I make no apologies if there is a bias towards these projects. :p

Soldato
I think it's a great idea. We've seen how much of an impact rich's FAH news has made - it even got me folding for a while :o - so having something for BOINC projects will hopefully do the same. It'll also help to illustrate the diversity that BOINC offers, as I'm pretty sure that some people still think that BOINC and SETI are the same thing and just don't realise that there are different projects available, which may encourage some to sign-up once they've noticed what's on offer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds like a good idea to me. I am back on SETI again but it would get good to know whats going on in other projects as I do like to jump ship every now and then :)

Soldato
OP
TheTross said:
It'll also help to illustrate the diversity that BOINC offers, as I'm pretty sure that some people still think that BOINC and SETI are the same thing and just don't realise that there are different projects available, which may encourage some to sign-up once they've noticed what's on offer.

Excellent point.
Added to the mission statememt in the OP.

Associate
Sounds like a good idea to me.

It occasionally feels like I'm the only one running SETI, and while I do read a fair bit of the foldy stuff, I don't think I've seen much at all about anything else.

<fx> Giant lizard scratches head </fx>

But if you guys with big meaty boxes all move to SETI, maybe I'll find it hard to stay in the top 100 RAC hosts worldwide for my poor little 6600 :D

My 6600 is currently 93rd on the host list, although Geoff from these parts is about 4 places above me with a similar specced box.

(Stock cooling :eek: running at 3.1GHz on V2.2B of the Chicken Soup Client. RAC 2660 and still climbing :cool: )

Soldato
OP
kinnison said:
Funny, I always thought that FAH *was* the dark side ;) Have I been wrong all this time!?

Kinnison.

Yes. Origami is for meditation and contemplation of purity.

Only through the power of Boinc will you unleash your true potential and govern the Universe like a living deity.

(That's what it says on the B0rkley website. Honest ;) )

Associate
Sounds good as I've being BOINCing for years with Seti & almost a year on Climate prediction. Seti gives wierd credit for units sometimes. CP units are too big taking minths to complete so might give up on that soon as FAH is the main aim at the mo. So I like to know what is happening even if I'm not so active with BOINC [ latest version wouldn't download new Seti units 1/2 the time so have reverted to previous].

Back
Top Bottom