Guess I'm losing it. More dosh on the MX5

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I've always been pretty much against spending money on cars as any mods usually add virtually zero value to a car.
However, owning an MX5 really can be so tempting.
I've already changed my dials to a set of white units from MX5 parts, and last weekend fitted a s/h Raid airbag replacement steering wheel. Have to say that the new steering wheel does feel lovely.
Now I've ended up doing it again and have ordered a monsterflow induction kit. I know it'll give bugger all extra power, but apparently gives a lovely extra sound to the car when gunning it. Should be picking that up next Sat from Moss-europe.
The next thing I know, I'll be sticking in aluminium door handles....no!!!!

Man of Honour
Spending money on the mx5 is addictive! Not that I would know ;) :p

The induction sound that the mx5 makes is awesome with the right kit in. With the induction kit I have, plus the turbo it does make a nice meaty roar - actually under load in a higher gear it does have an nice "burble" sound which is addictive. The car has been tweaked a lot since I took you out in it too - I should pop round again some time and show it to you. :)

Caporegime
Freefaller said:
We should meet up - I'll give you a spin in it - it'll convince you I assure you ;)

What have you had done to your MX-5 and what BHP is it now, as well as 0-60?

I like these cars just never really seen any that are tuned, i'm interested as to how they perform. Take it yours is the 1.8i or similar? :)

Associate
Mr_Sukebe said:
I've always been pretty much against spending money on cars as any mods usually add virtually zero value to a car.
Justify them by saying you will return it to standard when the time to sell comes and put the mods up for sale separately ;)

Soldato
yep, from now on there is no such thing as a savings account! get it turbo'd!

As soon as I have paid up my loan, I will be tempted getting an MX5 and FI'ing it still dont quite get on with the looks of them which may make me look at other things, bit girly, but for a lot less than 10 grand I can have a nice MX5 with turbo 220-250 bhp proper suspension and brakes, I dont think you can have more fun for the money! But I suppose I have the bike for thrills, possibly should have a more sensible car!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Trickle said:
Justify them by saying you will return it to standard when the time to sell comes and put the mods up for sale separately ;)

As it happens, adding a turbo kit to an MX does retain most of it's value, though I'm guessing that body tat (sorry kits), probably add bugger all.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Oakesy2001uk said:
As soon as I have paid up my loan, I will be tempted getting an MX5 and FI'ing it still dont quite get on with the looks of them which may make me look at other things, bit girly, but for a lot less than 10 grand I can have a nice MX5 with turbo 220-250 bhp proper suspension and brakes, I dont think you can have more fun for the money! But I suppose I have the bike for thrills, possibly should have a more sensible car!

My guess is that a Westfield or Elise/VX220 is probably more fun, but I'm pretty sure that I couldn't live with the comfort compromises that each car has. For me, the MX is a spot on compromise. As for FI, I'm desperately trying to avoid spending £3k on a car that only cost £5k, so please stop encouraging me.

Man of Honour
Mr_Sukebe said:
For me, the MX is a spot on compromise. As for FI, I'm desperately trying to avoid spending £3k on a car that only cost £5k, so please stop encouraging me.

thats pretty much my view also, and that of allot of people on the mx5oc forums - its a very difficult car to beat for the compramise of day to day drivability, fun and trashability - you can drive it fast, damn fast and have fun, or you can comfortably cruise without getting a sore rear end, cramped and deathened.....

And go on, you know you want to ;)

Soldato
I saw an episode of 'wheeler, Dealer'' last week, they took a tired old MX5 and did it up.The easiest thing they did was to put an induction kit on and add support struts to the underside front and back, the holes are already pre drilled for the fitting

Man of Honour
The MX5 needs very little in terms of suspension modification - maybe a bit of a brake upgrade, but nothing much more than new pads really.

The one thing it DOES love is forced induction ;) Especially a turbo :D

Richdog - I don't really know what my 60 time is, but ask anyone that has been in it to tell you it's not short of being pretty damned quick ;) In all honesty I wouldn't be surprised of high 5s...

Siliconslave - we should do an mx5 meet soon!!!

Caporegime
Freefaller said:
The one thing it DOES love is forced induction ;) Especially a turbo :D

Richdog - I don't really know what my 60 time is, but ask anyone that has been in it to tell you it's not short of being pretty damned quick ;) In all honesty I wouldn't be surprised of high 5s...

Hmm this is serously tempting me for my next car considering how reasonable the price is nowadays. Which model is yours. the 1.8i? And what year was it? Also, how much was it to have the turbo fitted? :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I should get a video of mine... but I have no means of doing it :(

Richdog, mine's a W reg (2000) 1.8is (so it has the slightly harder suspension, the LSD and ABS). The turbo and all the bits cost me $2.5 from the States, and then a bit of labour charges, certainly for the ECU tuning. It cost me under £3k more like £2.3k really.

But I've done a lot of other things myself, like get new tyres (finally), full geo setup, and a few other tweaks and bobs.

Bodywork is untouched ;)

Back
Top Bottom