Guide for HTPC

Soldato
I figured as much (regarding the HD-DVD and BD). I'm tryin to get away from powerDVD and use a simple front end like media portal for everythin. I tried media portal before and loved it but didn't really have a need for it back then lol, think I'm starting to find a need for it now though.

As for vid codecs etc, ffdshow gets my vote for upscaling goodness :)

there's a guide here on how to set it up to upscale. the guide is aimed at dvd's but the settings should work with any video format that uses ffdshow decoders http://www.htpcnews.com/index.php

edit: the site seems to be down at the min :(

Associate
I built an HTPC earlier in the year (with a very similar spec to the above). After 6 months I would give the following observations.

Hardware - works fine. I didn't upgrade the cooling, and it is still very quiet. You hear the HD more than anything tbh.

OS - Vista took some getting used to, and I still prefer XP, but Vista's sleep mode makes to a good choice for a HTPC.

Front End. - I tried various front ends, such as Media Portal, Vista's own etc, but never really found they added a lot other than cosmetic, and getting remotes to work with everything is a right faff. My wife and I are both comfortable with PC's, so I ditched it all and we now use the wireless keyboard with integrated mouse, and just have shortcuts to folders on the desktop.

Usage - It gets used more and more as each day goes by. There is no doubt that this is not a piece of hardware the same as a DVD player or Sky+, there is a learning curve here, but now it is great.

We use the Music player loads (mainly for playlists), Digital pictures slideshows (great for showing guests, and using your digital pictures), BBC iPlayer (quality is watchable), certain Btorrent downloads for TV shows (quality is brilliant), and watching DVD's and Blu-rays (quality is breathtaking).

We do use the internet as well, but not as much as I thought. Also for playing games with the kids (Indy Lego is fantastic!)

Hooked up to a 37" Panasonic plasma.

Overall a very worthwhile project and purchase. We would be lost without it now.

Soldato
Front End. - I tried various front ends, such as Media Portal, Vista's own etc, but never really found they added a lot other than cosmetic, and getting remotes to work with everything is a right faff. My wife and I are both comfortable with PC's, so I ditched it all and we now use the wireless keyboard with integrated mouse, and just have shortcuts to folders on the desktop.

It's far from just a cosmetic upgrade if you have it setup properly, of course like anything if it's poorly implemented through either program or installation/configuration then it's a waste of time.

Logitech remotes + MP work very well together but i can't speak for other brands.....movies/tv/lossless music/streaming radio all controlled from a single remote = heaven ....the only area for improvement is BD playback but that should sorted soon enough too.

kb/mouse nah sorry that's too nasty in 2008 :o

You need PowerDVD for that. MP is just a front end - it isnt actually a media player (it uses external codecs/players)

MP is a media player also ;)

Last edited:
Associate
ok i have a couple of questions.
i have a "gaming computer" which is conected to both a gaming screen and a 40" full hd screen. can i run MP on one of the screens while gaming on the other? and will my computer be able to run MP ?

quad core 3.00 Hz
4 GB ram
asus P5K motherboard
nvidia 9800 gtx geforce

Soldato
OP
ok i have a couple of questions.
i have a "gaming computer" which is conected to both a gaming screen and a 40" full hd screen. can i run MP on one of the screens while gaming on the other? and will my computer be able to run MP ?

quad core 3.00 Hz
4 GB ram
asus P5K motherboard
nvidia 9800 gtx geforce

I have no idea if you can run a game on one screen and MP on the other but your PC will run MP all day long. With those specs 1080p full HD will be a breeze (not sure if your GPU supports HD playback though) :)
Thats a powerful PC you have got. My E2140 core2duo, 2gb ram, and onboard X1250 GPU can do the job and my HTPC is minor compared to yours

Last edited:
Associate
Im looking at building a HTPC/Gaming machine. I have a E6300, 4Gb DDR2 and a HX520 I can use from this current rig. Would the E6300 be enough for HD material and what GPU would you recommend.

Good Guide BTW, MP looks very pleasing on the eye indeed.

Soldato
Im looking at building a HTPC/Gaming machine. I have a E6300, 4Gb DDR2 and a HX520 I can use from this current rig. Would the E6300 be enough for HD material and what GPU would you recommend.

Answers yes, but you may have to overclock. From my own personal experience, my old E6600 struggled with blu-ray & no hardware acceleration.

minimum GPU to go for is this

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...3 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express) - Retail

you could get away with an older ATi card 2*** or 3***, but those only do 2 channel PCM through its HDMI adaptor. 4*** cards do up to 7.1.

Associate
Answers yes, but you may have to overclock. From my own personal experience, my old E6600 struggled with blu-ray & no hardware acceleration.

minimum GPU to go for is this

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...3 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express) - Retail

you could get away with an older ATi card 2*** or 3***, but those only do 2 channel PCM through its HDMI adaptor. 4*** cards do up to 7.1.

Thats great, but I wont be using the HTPC for Blu-Ray I will be using my PS3 for that so will, 1080p mkv files be ok on the E6300?

Back
Top Bottom