Guitar Chords

Associate
I am a beginner who is teaching himself i have learnt a couple of chords of a friend, i wondered if anyone knew a website showing where to put fingures where??

Soldato
Learn your basic non-open voicings such as a G Major barre chord:

E:3
B:3
G:4
D:5
A:5

and others such as your G Minor Barre chord (same as above but 4th fret G is 3rd fret instead) then you already have 2 shapes that you can move around to any position and play the corresponding chord, E.g play the major shape only starting on your 5th fret and you're playing A Major.

To start off just learn what shapes transpose (move around) without changing them and you'll probably have all the chords you'll need until if you get into it more seriously.

Soldato
Andelusion said:
Learn your basic non-open voicings such as a G Major barre chord:

B:3
G:4
D:5
A:5

and others such as your G Minor Barre chord (same as above but 4th fret G is 3rd fret instead) then you already have 2 shapes that you can move around to any position and play the corresponding chord, E.g play the major shape only starting on your 5th fret and you're playing A Major.

To start off just learn what shapes transpose (move around) without changing them and you'll probably have all the chords you'll need until if you get into it more seriously.

bit complicated.... :p

Soldato
well yeh it is...eventually.

just starting out id just want a few chords ....a few major chords to learn.

my first lesson i got G/A/E/D/C to learn, a bar of each. so 4counts of each chrod then the next. just to get used to chords/rythem/changing chords.

Soldato
lemonkettaz said:
well yeh it is...eventually.

just starting out id just want a few chords ....a few major chords to learn.

my first lesson i got G/A/E/D/C to learn, a bar of each. so 4counts of each chrod then the next. just to get used to chords/rythem/changing chords.

Yup that's definately good too, with my students I always start with C Major then go through the rest of the open voicings but I also explain that a lot of shapes you can move around to combat the "BUT THERESS SOO MANEH CHORDSS!?!?!" syndrome :)

Soldato
lemonkettaz said:
your a teacher then? cool :)

Yeah :) Been doing it about a year now, i'm at College at the mo so just do it part-time, hoping to carry it on next year when i'm starting a Music degree.

lemonkettaz said:
would you suggest advice on stay clear of tabs?

we had to "learn by ear" :p

Figuring out stuff by ear helps and can definately be useful but you'll find that after generally playing for a while you'll begin to get an idea of how to get to certain notes from a starting note and then you'll be doing it without realising.

Playing by ear really cheesy tunes like Happy Birthday/Our national anthem/Neighbours theme tune :p is also pretty useful if you're wanting to start off learning by ear (for beginners out there!).

Man of Honour
Imo skip all barre chords until a few months in....

Open chords are generally nicer sounding when you are new and are easier, thus inspiring you to play the instrument more.

Suspended
My advise would be to use tabs where you can but avoid any sort of tuition - did me alright!

That means no books, no videos, no greasy haired shredder showing the mixopenile scale - just play, for fun. :)

Associate
go to college! - it must be like 1 in 2 people at my college can play the bloody guitar lol, i sponge fromm them :D

gonna have to get round to learning more chords, but i like learning riffs that i can play and stuff, and these massive fingers dont help :p

my suggestion is to find a very basic song that you like and get chords fot that - will make you want to pay the guitar even more - kinda sucks that i listen to (bloody complicated) heavy metal

Back
Top Bottom