Guitar Strings and a Tuner recommendation:

Don
Currently playing on a yamaha 310 and got a bit over exuberant and snapped the 'G' string (ooo-er). Can any one recommend any strings for this guitar?

Also, I'm after another tuner, the one I have isn't very good with half step tuning and such.

Any recommendations are appreciated :)

Beginner / Intermediate player btw.

Thanks,

Soldato
for me strings is a toss up bettween GHS boomers and Ernie Ball super slinky's not really much to seperate them if you ask me.

Then I re-read your post and realised you were playing an accoustic so should ignore my idiot advice!

My Accoustic currently has a set of D'Addario EXP 80/20 strings on it which I'm liking, I've tried various different strings over the years and never really fallen for any of them. I just love the sound of a fresh set of strings no matter what they are really.

Last edited:
Soldato
How long have your current set been on? If the answer is a long time, then it would be a good idea to replace the entire set, for 2 reasons; firstly you will ensure that all of your strings are from the same set and thus the same gauge (thickness, they will all 'feel' and sound 'correct') secondly, having older strings combined with one new string may sound strange, as strings get older they lose a lot of their brilliance and can begin to sound dull.

For a tuner, check out the Korg CA-30, been around for ages, simple, cheap and does the job.

Soldato
I'd recommend the Boss TU-2 for a tuner. It's a small compact stompbox with nice bright LEDs and accurate to 3 cents. Also it can power other Boss pedals. It's the industrial standard as well.

As for strings I use D'Addarios XL 10s, although I might try some Ernie Ball 9s for the craic next string change.

Blackvault

Soldato
Martin & Martin mediums (blue packet I believe) or hard if you prefer slightly harder strings.

Had my Yamaha LA-8 fret dressed recently and the shop put D'Addarios on and I really don't like them personally, don't find them as bright as the Martins. Saying that the sound hasn't degraded like the Martins do (I typically change every 3 months as I use my guitar a lot).

Tuners, I personally have a small Korg portable and a Fender pedalboard style. If it's for an acoustic I would get a Korg (or similar) clipon. They work really well and don't need to be plugged in. Saying that if you play in a band or around a lot of ambient noise then you'd need a pluggin jobby.

Soldato
I'd recommend the Boss TU-2 for a tuner. It's a small compact stompbox with nice bright LEDs and accurate to 3 cents. Also it can power other Boss pedals. It's the industrial standard as well.

As for strings I use D'Addarios XL 10s, although I might try some Ernie Ball 9s for the craic next string change.

Blackvault

He has a non-electro acoustic.

Soldato
For a tuner, check out the Korg CA-30, been around for ages, simple, cheap and does the job.

+1. Had mine for yeeears and still works great. I like the look of those little clip on ones though.

Not gonna work unless it's an electro (and the Korg Pitchblack is better anyway :p).

As for strings, as I always do, I'll recommend Elixirs.

Make sure you get the same gauge as you've already got though (I think all Yamaha acoustics come with 12s) unless you want the possibility of having to set it up again.

:)

Don
OP
How long have your current set been on? If the answer is a long time, then it would be a good idea to replace the entire set, for 2 reasons; firstly you will ensure that all of your strings are from the same set and thus the same gauge (thickness, they will all 'feel' and sound 'correct') secondly, having older strings combined with one new string may sound strange, as strings get older they lose a lot of their brilliance and can begin to sound dull.

Sorry for the confusion, yes it is an acoustic, non eletric...

Thanks for the advice. I will be replaing the entire set :)

Thanks for the tuner suggestion I'll give it a look!

Dingleberry, I've heard good things about the Elixirs actually, will give them a look too. Thanks for the suggestions chaps!

Any more suggestions then I'm all ears!

Soldato
im not too sure of acoustic strings although ive heard elixers are very good but pricey.

for a tuner im not sure on make/model but the one i had for my acoustic (still use it for electric too) is one that clips onto the headstock and works through vibration in the neck to measure the frequency and works very well

Back
Top Bottom