Guitarist rant...

Man of Honour
OP
therandom said:
If what you were playing sounded awesome (irrespective or how complicated the thing was to play) then the vast majority of the time it would recieve the praise it deserved!
I resent this!

therandom said:
(I know Nitefly irl)
Unfortuantly ;)

therandom said:
And turn ya damned amp on when you play to people! :p It's bordering on impossible to appreciate a piece of music you haven't heard before when you're straining to hear it :D
The amp was indeed on in this particular situation, just when I'm doing my pre-jog strumming I c.b.a. to plug it in.

And yes... buy a guitar already, seriously. Then pay me money to teach you 0:)

Man of Honour
In the late 70's I used to be in a cabaret band and I had a wonderful brilliant keyboard player in the band. A lot of songs would be focused around his keyboard skills and he was that good that me and the bass player bought him a Fender Rhodes. The last tune of the 2nd set would be an instrumental called TELSTAR and I would go over to my Korg 700 monophonic synth and play the tune which was dead easy. When we came off the stage the only thing the audience would talk about were my brilliant skills on the keyboards. It wasn't long before I dropped the tune because I could see it was upsetting the lad and I didn't want to lose him.
Audiences are crap but you've only got to watch people listening at karaokes to see how much they don't know.

Man of Honour
v0n said:
Anything to do with Joe Meek?

:D

Around 1990 I played in a massive marquee at JCB Rocester. There were about six acts on including comedians, fire eaters and two bands. When we got there the main band had set up and took all the stage leaving nothing for us. An argument broke out but I was in a band with 3 pacifists and we ended up having about 10 foot to the right of the stage. That meant my keyboards and the bass player stood in the gap and the guitarist behind us which was embarassing. We came off and to say we were upset was an understatement because of the attitude of the other band.
Anyway, the main band came on and JCB had left their own lights on and the bass player looked at our soundsman and ordered him to turn them off while they played the intro to Move It by Cliff Richard. Our soundsman did as he was told and walked over to the main power supply for the whole of the marquee and turned the lot off :D
About one hour into their set and the bass player announced they were going to do their big hit which was TELSTAR :eek: Up until that point the name of the band had escaped me and I thought what a bunch of tossers - one hit in the 60's and they think they're gods gift.
Anyway, during the encore the bass player looked at our soundsman funny again and he promptly switched the power off again :D
Outside they tried to take their revenge but my 3 pacifists turned into 3 Bruce Lee's and they backed off.
I've supported some absolutely amazing artists in my 36 years of experience and the only two who've been starstruck are The Tornados and Department S (Is Vic There?).

Back
Top Bottom