Guns N Roses - Chinese Democracy

Soldato
The bloke has sold over 100 million albums! If he's a Penis,God help the rest of us!

Just because he has sold lots of records doesn't mean he is not a penis.

Yet he's less of a penis and a hundred times the musician than most of the subjects of threads that grace this forums. The Killers, Leona Lewis, etc, etc, etc.

At least they bother to turn up to their gigs

Last edited:
Soldato
At least they bother to turn up to their gigs

So does Axl. At download 06 they came out exactly on time, much to the hilarity of myself as I had perfect position to see the hoards of foolish people trying to get to the main stage from the tent where the prodigy were playing when they heard the ferocious intro of 'Jungle'!

Personally I love the fact he's a ****, because he is an original goddamn rock star, not one of these faux middle class pretend 'rock stars' of today's generation. So **** off and go listen to get in the ring! ;)

[that was not meant literally, merely in the spirit of the subject we are discussing!]

Soldato
Personally I love the fact he's a ****, because he is an original goddamn rock star, not one of these faux middle class pretend 'rock stars' of today's generation. So **** off and go listen to get in the ring! ;)

[that was not meant literally, merely in the spirit of the subject we are discussing!]

YEA cuz real rock and roll is all about spending lots of money into a album that takes 17 years to make, without any of the orginal band members except axl himself but still use the band name that got him famous !!! HARDCORE YAYAAHAHGHAGHA !!!!! :rolleyes:

btw I did like your last comment though very slick :p

Soldato
YEA cuz real rock and roll is all about spending lots of money into a album that takes 17 years to make, without any of the orginal band members except axl himself but still use the band name that got him famous !!! HARDCORE YAYAAHAHGHAGHA !!!!! :rolleyes:

btw I did like your last comment though very slick :p

Technically it is the epitome of rock and roll. He done what he liked and didn't give a ****.

Only Axl could have gotten away with it.

Man of Honour
Ultra-necro!!

Listening to this album today.

It’s so... odd, isn’t it? It feels like every song is good but they are all drowned in a slick bombastic production and with Axl’s meandering vocal lines all over the place the songs are actually barely memorable. I have never heard so many excellent guitar solos that are just so boring. It gets really rather shreddy in places where it ought not to.

I suppose the biggest problem is that it just doesn’t have ‘the tunes’. I genuinely struggle to remember a single song off it.

Thoughts, after all these years?

Edit - I should clarify... I definitely don’t dislike it.

Last edited:
Associate
Have to agree that "odd" is a good way to sum the album up. Technically it's a decent album but sounds rather overproduced, particularly compared to the raw sound of Appetite for Destruction. Better is the highlight IMO.

Also agree that some of the solos are rather soulless, although that can't be said for the solo in This I Love which is stripped back but beautifully played. They're also rather inconsistent but suppose that's a given due to the number of assorted guitarists who actually performed on the album.

As an aside I can't believe this - and Metallica's Death Magnetic - are 10+ years old already!

Associate
I suppose the biggest problem is that it just doesn’t have ‘the tunes’. I genuinely struggle to remember a single song off it.

That's my issue with it.

The tunes on Appetite for Destruction roll off the tongue, on the Illusions I immediately think of Right Next Door to Hell, Double Talkin' Jive, Civil War, You Could be Mine - not even the most famous of the tracks. But on Chinese Democracy, I'd struggle to recall any title bar Riad N' The Bedouins - and that's not necessarily because I enjoy that track. The album has moments, but eminently forgettable ones.

Back
Top Bottom