gutted

Permabanned
Took the day off for the delivery of my new Raptor 150GB and Vista Ultimate (OEM) - delivered by midday, sat down for the long haul of installation and cofiguration - BUT - drive is DOA.

So, I've a shiney new copy of Vista itching to be installed but only my 2 trusty (?) Maxtor 250GB drives to hand until the Raptor is RMA'd.

The question is can/should I install Vista onto one of these drives - get it configured etc. then once the new drive is replaced make a backup image of the existing installation and restore it to the new drive by booting from the DVD?

Possible?

Permabanned
OP
Hmm - cheers, I'll take a look at the Seagate - but that doesn't really address my question. Will Vista backup create an image that I can place on the replacement drive?

Soldato
fester said:
You'll need Ghost or Acronis Diskdirecror to do that sort of thing.

Vista Ultimate Edition has its own disk image.

I would setup a partition equal to the size of the raptor, install vista. Once you have sorted your raptor do a full image backup and restore it onto the raptor drive. Job done :).

Soldato
fester said:
You'll need Ghost or Acronis Diskdirecror to do that sort of thing.
No, you don't. Vista now includes this functionality. Install Vista, goto Backup & Restore Center. If you chose 'Backup Computer', you can save an image to CD/DVD/Other HDD.

To restore, just boot off the Vista install disc and chose Restore from the repair menu.

Soldato
A[L]C said:
faster overall i believe. Slower seek times, but larger platters

Does OcUK stock these Seagate HDD's? im about to make an order with 2 HDD's on it, but now I wanna see these Seagates, can you provide a link?

Back
Top Bottom