Guy asks girl out at work, twitter kicks off...

Soldato
It’s more a case that this woman has been leered at, cat called, objectified, dismissed because she’s a woman, treated differently because she’s a woman and sexualised numerous times in the day and this was the final straw. He’s coming across as creepy and I can see how she may think he’s dangerous as she’s clearly tried to distance herself from him. It’s clear she wasn’t interested in working with him let alone a relationship. Anyone can see that due to her not telling him her job and her not wanting to work with him. For him to then suggest a date is creepy and alarming. She clearly doesn’t want to be involved with him and he shouldn’t then suggest a date. He’s probably the kind of guy who will turn up outside her house and won’t take no for an answer.

As usual, this forum has no understanding of women and the struggles they face in society day to day from creepy men.

If a woman wanted to go on a date, if they were interested, you’d know -
(much like in the other thread). This one clearly wasn’t interested.

Soldato
Lacking any context to know what their previous interactions had been or whether they actually work together so hard to say how inappropriate it was imo.

Asking someone out like that via email does seem a bit odd, but comparing him to someone turning up outside her house and not taking no for an answer seems a bit much.

Caporegime
OP
My assumption is they probably haven’t had many previous interactions, he didn’t realise she was an F1 (same grade of junior dr as him?), he’s presumably only recently interacted with her re whatever the possible/proposed collaboration was that he referenced in the e-mail then for whatever reason he thought it was a good idea to shoot his shot too.

Soldato
It’s more a case that this woman has been leered at, cat called, objectified, dismissed because she’s a woman, treated differently because she’s a woman and sexualised numerous times in the day and this was the final straw. He’s coming across as creepy and I can see how she may think he’s dangerous as she’s clearly tried to distance herself from him. It’s clear she wasn’t interested in working with him let alone a relationship. Anyone can see that due to her not telling him her job and her not wanting to work with him. For him to then suggest a date is creepy and alarming. She clearly doesn’t want to be involved with him and he shouldn’t then suggest a date. He’s probably the kind of guy who will turn up outside her house and won’t take no for an answer.

As usual, this forum has no understanding of women and the struggles they face in society day to day from creepy men.

That’s the thing though, maybe he doesn’t know. That doesn’t mean he’s responsible for any previous bad interactions the women has had. If I ask someone out how am I supposed to know what they’ve been through, or if they don’t want to be asked. Generally, you just get rebuffed - not posted on Twitter and called a lunatic. Its difficult to say what happened (if anything) before the email, but if it’s JUST this email, it seems pretty tame to me and hardly worth some of the unreal responses on Twitter. But then again, that’s Twitter.

Soldato
This is what really ***** me off about all this modern gender neutrality, equal opportunities and discrimination.

It's fine when it suits people.

And then this happens, it's the "poor innocent woman victim", and the "male sexual predator".

If it has been a woman sending this email to a male, this would have been a complete non issue.

Soldato

There's "reading between the lines", and then there's this...

Please tell me your reply was a parody?

Soldato
What I find staggering is that there are people that can't understand why propositioning a colleague at work is inappropriate behaviour and could lead to repercussions, even more so over work e-mail, what an absolute tool :rolleyes:

And yes, it would be just as inappropriate for a woman to do the same to a man, but less likely to elicit this kind of response as men aren't generally leered and face this kind of crap day after day.

Permabanned
@Roar87 @Chris Wilson this is why you don't ask women out you work with. ;)

The chances of me having asked a girl called "Caitlin" out who does work for the WHO would have been zero, the name and association with such an organisation would be warning enough ;)

A vulgar and insensitive, lank haired little vixen, if ever I have seen one. The silly lad should lick his hurt pride and breathe a sigh of relief there :)

Man of Honour

That is a whole load of assumption tinged with prejudice albeit not without some basis.

We have no idea as to the circumstances surrounding the supposed collaboration and whether she ultimately said no to it or simply ghosted him. Likewise we have no idea how much interest she initially expressed in a collaboration vs how much was fantasy on his part.

It reads like she put out feelers to him initially over the prospect of collaboration, hence him not knowing much about her, possibly after reading some work he had done - but that is assumption. It is very difficult to infer from the opening two sentences whether the first email from the guy was unsolicited or not.

Man of Honour
I agree with this part. It isn't clear if this was a company email, I guess it was.

I don't put anything on any kind of company communication that isn't 100% work related these days.

Yup work systems are for formal stuff, maybe a bit of work related banter, not unsolicited social interaction of this nature and in this respect people should have an expectation of not receiving advances or other stuff of that nature via work systems.

Soldato
Thing is about it being work email is that you keep it on there and deal with it internally. In the first instance of course, you tell the guy; he may not have the emotional intelligence to understand what he's doing, not all men are the same. If there's something that needs doing (pattern of behaviour, misuse of company equipment, professional standards, harassment etc) then proper channels it.

What you don't do, is announce it to the world, and encourage a twitter pile on. It's the modern equivalence of screaming "witch!!!".

Man of Honour

Lol. Funniest thing I've read in days :D

Soldato

Lmao 10/10

Soldato
What you don't do, is announce it to the world, and encourage a twitter pile on. It's the modern equivalence of screaming "witch!!!".

Don't be surprised if it backfires however, I think she's going to end up living a very lonely life, as I dare say she's going find it very difficult to find a guy who will risk getting anywhere near her following this.

Back
Top Bottom