• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GX2 7950 - Card/System Problem - HELP?

Associate
Hey,

I just upgraded my system, with a new motherboard, new CPU and new graphics card. I chose the A8N32-Sli-Deluxe mb, a AMD 64x 4600 Dual Core CPU, socket 939, and the new Gefore 7950 GX2.

Basically, the setup is not providing the results. With games like Battlefield 2 all the way up to Call of Juarez, I was hoping I should be able to put eveything on high and get extremely high fps. In Battlefield with everything on high, 1280-1024 and only 2x AA I was only getting 60fps and below, all the way to below 30. In Call of Juarez, (same settings), the game is rarely above 30 and mostly around 20, dropping as low as 10 in some intense scenes. Something isn't right.

I've tried formatting, reinstalling all the different drivers, beta divers, nforce, mb bios, everything...

Should the Forceware driver recognise and enable SLI support? Because I do not get that installation message and do not get SLI options in the control panel (in any driver version). Only 'multi-gpu configurations' in the 3D management panel - which is set to on, and I've turned it to single display in the 3D settings.

Two major problems with my system as I see it are my RAM and my PSU.

I've pretty much discounted the RAM being the problem as I got a friend to lend me his Corsair 2x 1Gb 400Mhz RAM and I saw very little (about 5fps) improvement.

Could a 400W psu decrease frame rates? And by almost half the benchmark scores?

Can anyone please help me, I've been working on this for 3 days with no success?

Thanks,

Last edited:
A 400w psu is low for your spec but i dont think it would effect frame rates. The a8n32 has 2x16x pcie lanes so the motherboard is fine. I cant remember if the a8n32 has an option in the bios to downclock/disable 16x pcie slots to 8x. If thats the case then you may only be running on one core. Have you tried the 91.31 drivers as they seem to be the ones that cause the least problems with the GX2 running in sli.

The ram is a big factor in gaming and a slow stick of 1gig will affect the performance, especially in BF2 but you say it only made a difference of 5fps so as you stated that pretty much rules that out unless the timings were really slack. My FPS in BF2 on a 3800x2 @ 2.6 with 2 gig was 100fps (limiter on) and rarely dropped below 80 so it deffo seems to me you are only running on one core.

The way I tested if my GX2 was running in sli was to run 3d06 and in the 'return to proxycon' I noticed a leap from 48-50 fps to 60-75 fps. I never messed with the multi gpu settings, it automatically went from 1 core to two cores simply by a driver change.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not my PSU or RAM.

Which leaves me with faulty hardware or a bad driver configuration.

If it's drivers, then it's unbelievably fiddly, and almost impossible to find. I need to run some more tests with 3dMark, but otherwise I'm thinking I might have a faulty card.

download nvtray and turn on the load balancing bars, This shows you if sli if working correctly and how the work is being spread across the 2 gpus.

Plust its a must have app when u have a GX2 anyway :cool:

Back
Top Bottom