Gym Rats Festive and New Years Meet - 12th January 2013

Man of Honour
Right, any lack of interest in this meet like the last one, and you're all declared a bunch of non lifting phaggots

With that said, this sub forum has been under a little hostility lately, it's time to rekindle our bromances and be at one with the iron again

IT'S MEET TIME!

Let's cut to the chase...

Where:
Temple Gym, Birmingham

Why:
Because it's central for a lot of people, a great experience for anyone who hasn't been and easy for parking (now we know it doesn't actually exist like on Google maps). And it's got a close by Nandos, and basically, I say so.

What's 'appening?:
Well, we're scrapping the traditional turn up and train free for all. As basically it doesn't work, and it turns into an almost anti social affair for some. So it's replaced with a number of challenges, the final list to be decided closer to the time, but some of the challenges includes will be:
Mini Powerlifting Comp
Chin 'til you Win
2013kg Challenge
Team Totals
OcUK Bodybuilders: Post your festive pics

All the challenges are optional of course, but you are expected to take part in at least one, if you'd like to just train at Temple, that's fine too, it is an experience, but for the social side of it I'd recommend the challenges, most of them are team based

Details of all the above will follow ;) We'll be in the gym for about 3 hours, so bring your BCAAs to prevent dat der catobolism boys

Also, a secret Santa, optional also, but when we have confirmed numbers, I'll draw Secret Santa, budget is £10, and it has to be gym related, funnier the better, funny and useful for extra points

After that, we go to Nandos, eat and have a lot of banter, and basically chat until we get bored and want to stop

Anything Else?:
Hopefully a night out, I always intend for it to happen but we never get numbers, so like always, we'll see what the turn out is like

Why Should I Go?:
Because they're fantastic, and this will be the best yet. A great chance to put a face to the gif, I mean post. It doesn't cost much that much given the notice and all in all it's a fantastic day out and a great way to start 2013

So who's with me?!

Going:
Steedie
MoNkeE
Fluttershy
LiE
Morba
tom_e
Delvis
icecold
Ultra_Extreme
DevilsAdvocate
MBennett
Gamefreak501

Secret Santa:
Steedie
tom_e

Plan for the day

Parking

I'm not going to recommend one single parking place this year as everyone will be coming in from different directions, but if you see here:

http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/near/temple-gym/

Any of those will do, EXCEPT the parking marked 1, as that is closed, as we found out the hard way last year. But all of them provide post codes for you to use with sat navs

So park anywhere you can really, Wills found a good one last year in terms of prices so if he can let me know which one it is, I'll update the post. Some can be very expensive so double check the prices on that site before you turn up

Arriving

We are meeting at the gym at 11:30, I say 11:30 because I know people will arrive late, so meet at the gym at 11:30 to aim for a 12 start. Serious brahs, last year was a bit of a joke in terms of waiting on some people, so this year, if you're not here for 12, we'll start without you, and if that means you miss some of the team games starting, well tough I'm afraid :(

The Plan in Temple
On arriving, we'll all get changed into the most anabolic outfits we have, showing all those striations and our amazing vascularity. Then it's time to hit the gym. It's £5 for a single session, so please remember this. Anyone turns up and herp derps it and says they thought it was free, you'll be asked to wait outside so people don't think we're associated with you.

We'll then draw teams, I'm still debating the best system to deal with this, but teams will be drawn in a fair way. But teams are final. We will not mess them around, so no bitching :p

12pm - 2013kg Challenge
1pm - Chin 'til you Win!
1:30pm - Dip Challenge!
2pm - Team Totals - The Grand Finale

Obviously those times may well go out the window on the day, but if possible I'd like to try and stick as close as possible to them. As obviously we've got a lot to get through :) I've ditched the power lifting comp as I just think it's a bit pointless, people will be far too tired from the challenges to put the lifts in. And it will just be too long a day otherwise

After have finished with this, it's time to present the trophies for the winners, and for the losers to feel utterly ashamed. We'll have a bro down, and I'm bringing my camera for a few decent photos. I'll be taking photos throughout the day as well, all of which will go on here :)

Post Workout Feast

At approx 3:30pm we will hit Nandos at the Paradise Forum. Last year we went to The Mailbox, but this one is a bit closer and looks to be a little bigger which will be better for us as it's a bigger group than last year.

And from here we will feast and discuss the days events, discuss everything gym related and generally have some awesome banter.

I'll also present the trophies too the winners of the Gym Rat Awards that are present at the event

After that you can all bugger off home :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
The Challenges

2013kg Challenge:

A little idea I had to get some teamwork going. Teams of 3 (drawn at random) must decide for each team member whether they are a Push, Pull or a Legs member, and it must be your weakest area. For example, if can squat 200kg but only bench 80kg, you can't choose legs.

From there you must pick a lift that you think you can rack up the most volume in 8 reps. You only have 1 set. Each of these sets, all 24 reps between the team will be combined. And the highest over 2013kg will win a prize, 2013kg is the minimum weight. But here's the challenge, you must decide at the start, before any of the lifts happen, the weight each of you are going to go for for your set. You can only choose one weight for the whole 8 reps. So you'll already know what the total will be before you start, the reason this is a challenge is that if you pick a weight too light, and it means your team miss out on a winning total, there's nothing you can do. But if you pick something too heavy and can't finish the weight, you also suffer. How? Well let's say you pick 150kg for deadlifts, but only manage 5 of the 8, you'll have 3x 150kg taken off your total. So you need to pick a weight that will challenge you, but be able to finish the set for. There is a time limit per set too.

So let's give an example using Team X:

Team X decide the following, Member 1 will do Push, Member 2 will do Pull and Member 3 will do Legs. After a quick discussion, they decide to do the following:

Member 1: Bench 80kg = Total 640kg
Member 2: Deadlifts 140kg = Total 1120kg
Member 3: Squats 100kg = Total 800kg
Total = 2560kg

Chin 'Til you Win
Pretty much as it sounds, a chin competition, rules are simple, must be wide grip, must be a hang at the bottom, and must be a full rep

Team Totals
This will be between the two lowest teams, and the two highest teams from the 2013kg challenge.

Rules change for this one, in that you can pick your strongest lift. However, you still have to decide the weight before hand, and you still have to match a rep count, although this time it's reduced to 3. So it's still not your 1 rep max, but it's still going to be heavy. Failure to hit 3 reps this time will result in that members total being void.

Winners will have the ultimate bragging rights (and a trophy if I can sort one), and the losers of the bottom final will have the motivation to go back in the gym and improve!

Mini Powerlift Comp
Need to decide how this works based on numbers. But it's pretty self explained in terms of what it will be

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom