H&M Racism storm

Man of Honour
I suspect the real reason was probably that whiteboards were simply cheaper to buy than new blackboards. They're also less messy as you don't end up with chalk dust everywhere. Whoever told you it was a racism related decision was probably talking crap.
Agreed. Whiteboards are infinitely better than the old blackboards. Blackboards were terribly messy, harder to read, probably more expensive and also needed reconditioning at least once a year. Technology replaced old blackboards. Whiteboards are better for everything except scraping your fingernails down.

Soldato
Because neither are?

White boards were not introduced on any racial grounds, no matter what out of hand comment a div lecturer said to Bowden :rolleyes:

Have a bit of common sense will you

I don't think it's racist at all, but you have to wonder what type of people we have teaching our young minds!

Soldato
I don't think it's racist at all, but you have to wonder what type of people we have teaching our young minds!

I heard the same sort of thing in the 90's when whiteboards were introduced. It came from the usual rag tops (DM, DE etc) stirring up a bit of angst then it just morphs into an urban legend.

Unfortunately people retain these little snippits and it goes to form their overall perceptions and we get to where we are now, actually legitimate issues surrounding race get drowned out, or dismissed, by the plethora of "fake news" racism stories.

Which again, the rags love to publish 20 point font headlines just to stir up more angst.

Don
I guess its something you could link to black people being wrongly harassed and witnesses/police not being able to tell them apart.

I dont see how that accusation from one waiter is enough to warrant them getting harassed and eventually asked to leave and not return.

agree with that, was all handled badly but there is absolutely nothing to suggest being black had anything to do with it

Don
not sur on that one, it certainly could be... I mean obviously there was a case of mistaken identity but if the server has basically decided that the black people were the same as the other black people

but the mistaken identity could just as easily happened with 2 sets of white people

Caporegime
but the mistaken identity could just as easily happened with 2 sets of white people

That is what is being questioned, would it really or are there relatively few black people going there that the server has just made a crass assumption.

Soldato
I heard the same sort of thing in the 90's when whiteboards were introduced. It came from the usual rag tops (DM, DE etc) stirring up a bit of angst then it just morphs into an urban legend.

Unfortunately people retain these little snippits and it goes to form their overall perceptions and we get to where we are now, actually legitimate issues surrounding race get drowned out, or dismissed, by the plethora of "fake news" racism stories.

Which again, the rags love to publish 20 point font headlines just to stir up more angst.

councils did say we had to call them 'chalk boards' though instead of black ones (manchester city council certainly did, it was official advice)

V F

V F

Soldato
I remember being at college when white boards appeared. When I asked why they changed the boards racism was mentioned. At the time I was friends with an Indian guy and asked him if he was offended by black boards, he laughed and said no. Though that was in the 90s, when the PC brigade was on the horizon.
I suspect the real reason was probably that whiteboards were simply cheaper to buy than new blackboards. They're also less messy as you don't end up with chalk dust everywhere. Whoever told you it was a racism related decision was probably talking crap.

Agreed. Whiteboards are infinitely better than the old blackboards. Blackboards were terribly messy, harder to read, probably more expensive and also needed reconditioning at least once a year. Technology replaced old blackboards. Whiteboards are better for everything except scraping your fingernails down.

The answer I remember back in the 90s. They were easier to clean. Alcohol on the cloth, wipe, done.

Personally I hated the blackboard. My god I can still hear the chalk scratching the board. Especially a filthy 6 - 8 year old blackboard. :o :eek: *shivers*

Back
Top Bottom