H370 Gaming WiFi - Good choice?

Associate
Hi all. Joined yesterday and glad to be here, in process of organising my first build.

I've a budget of around £150 for a motherboard, with a gaming orientated build I am doing. Using ATX, PSU is purchased, and for processor looking at an i5 8600. Had been looking at the k version but slightly out my price range.

I was looking at an Aorus H370 Gaming WiFi board. WiFi a bonus as would kill need for me to get an additional network card.

According to the website and pictures it has an HDMI slot as well, which works as I plan on connecting my system straight into my Samsung TV. 1151 chipset is compatible with the 8600 processor as well.

Do you reckon it's a good choice and also what RAM would you all recommend? After 8gb to begin with.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/H370-AORUS-GAMING-3-WIFI-rev-10#kf

Man of Honour
From reviews it seems to be a very good board although it seems rather over specced to me for a locked down H series motherboard. The current price on here of £130 seems a lot for a board you can't overclock on as well. You say the 8600k is out of your price range but the 9600k is the same price on OCUK as the 8600 that you are considering at the moment so that would be a better buy. If you would consider a oem cpu then the oem 9600k is actually £10 less than the 8600. You would need a Z390 motherboard for a 9000 series cpu to work out of the box though. For memory I would get the 16Gb Team Group Vulcan T-Force 3000mhz DDR4 kit. It's the same price as the cheapest 2400mhz and 2666mhz 16Gb kits and although it may not run at it's full speed in a H370 board should you still go down that route, you should be able to tighten the timings up to make up for the loss of speed. Don't go 8Gb now and add 8Gb later on, it's a false economy and will end up costing more than buying 16Gb straight away. If this is to be a gaming pc then you will need a graphics card and that is what you connect to the monitor/tv not the HDMI slot on the motherboard.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £505.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

9600K option

Total: £508.06 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

I had to skimp on the motherboard here to keep costs down but personally I would spend another £20-30 on a better board. Also had to add a pci-e wireless card as the board doesn't have it.

If you are on a tight budget though wouldn't you be much better off with a AMD Ryzen build? You could have a Ryzen 5 2600 and a motherboard for not much over the price of a 8600 by itself.

Total: £404.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Back
Top Bottom