H440 Replacement

Soldato
Hi all

Just a bit of idle curiosity at the moment, but any input much appreciated especially from experience.

2 of my systems sit next to eachother in the mancave. Red and Blue. The are both packed in to original H440 cases, purchased when they came out 2/3 years ago. Neither has perfect cooling. Red gets warm and Blue has a 4790K which obviously has heatsink problems (think H100i reported temp 38c package temp 60-70c running at 4.4 - delid candidate I think). Red has a 6850K on an H100i (intake top) and 2 Maxwell Titan Xs on EVGA coolers. Although liveable with summer hopefully coming, ideally I'd like to rehouse both sticking with the Red and Blue themes in matching cases, just because I'm like that.

TL;DR
Spec me a case available in Red and in Blue, with better airflow than an H440 series 1 with enough space for 1 240 rad and 2 120 rads (a Vega or two is destined for Blue and i'll guess they will be AIO). Bigger is fine, ideally under 200 each.

All the InWins etc "appear" to have the same restricted airflow.

Thanks in advance

Associate
Following this thread too, my H440 seems to get pretty hot too, and would much rather house everything in a different case come summer, and have a similar budget to you so hoping somebody has a good suggestion mate! :)

Caporegime
Hmm, having recently built into an H440 2015 (Orange), I'm experiencing the opposite. Granted I'm watercooled, but I still need ample airflow for the two 360mm radiators and for the VRM/chipset heatsinks on the motherboard itself.

CPU is idling at 22-25ºc, and fully loads up at around 55ºc (Prime95). A 3DMark run sees my CPU a few degrees lower than P95, and the GPU (1070) was running around 42ºc (usually idles around 30ºc).

Not certain on the difference between the original H440 and the "2015", but it's probably worth pointing out that I don't run the front filter. I also have no rear-facing 120/140mm fan due to where the cooling loop runs.

IMG_20170402_180334.jpg

Associate
oh how I wish I wasn't a fairy and liked watercooling! :)
- Expensive
- Complicated / Maintenance
mine literally has the stock fans, any suggestions thinking of moving my actual tower to a cupboard in the corner of my room its a very large cupboard but worried for airflow and heat so will be monitoring it but not sure what to do with it in there its a fairly large space mind

Soldato
Questions for H440 owners (would be a 2015 or New Edition I buy)

I would be fully loading mine, with 11 HDDs and every card slot filled, either my existing 14C Xeon or a 16C Threadripper and some SSDs

Q1: Are the SSD slots on the PSU shroud still usable if you have a single slot GPU in the bottom slot of your Mobo?

Q2: If Q1 is "no", where else can 2 x 2.5" SSDs go?

Q3: With all HDD bays needed, what is the biggest top mounted rad I can fit? 240 or 280 and same question with push/pull (think it depends on mobo layout with 2 fans on a rad)

Q4: Can I still use the rear 140mm fan slot if a 240/280 rad/fans are installed in top

Thanks guys
Meth

Soldato
Q1: yes, I had my single slot sound card in the bottom slot and two SSDs fit neatly underneath.

Q3: I believe you can fit a 240mm up top and still use all the HDD bays. However I have removed the bays and the thing wot they mount to so can't tell for sure. I use 30mm rad and single set of 25mm fans and it's vertically clear of the motherboard. However if you wanted to use a thicker rad and/or push pull then be aware that you only have about 30mm horizontal clearance between mobo and where your rad/fans would be.

Q4: You can definitely have a rear fan if your top rad tubes are on the right (from looking in through the window). You might have issues with them on the left.

Back
Top Bottom