Had an heart attack.

Associate
My problem was angina but not due to lifestyle , just unlucky i've inherited it (as have both my brothers). We've all had heart ops now.

Whilst on the table getting it sorted the surgeon 'nicked' something and it caused me to have a heart attack right there on the table. A bit surreal really as I was laying watching the wire inside my pulsing heart and the surgeon chatting to me informing me I just had a heart attack. Had to go back a few weeks later for a 2nd op to finish stenting me up as too much to do in one go apparently. 7 stents totalling 17cm later and that was me done and dusted and pensioned off. I then got pericarditis which put my recovery back a few months but was starting to do some exercises again when a previous hernia popped out again. 7 months on waiting list not able to do much again.

Life is very chilled now and no way im going back to work.

Man of Honour
My problem was angina but not due to lifestyle , just unlucky i've inherited it (as have both my brothers). We've all had heart ops now.

Whilst on the table getting it sorted the surgeon 'nicked' something and it caused me to have a heart attack right there on the table. A bit surreal really as I was laying watching the wire inside my pulsing heart and the surgeon chatting to me informing me I just had a heart attack. Had to go back a few weeks later for a 2nd op to finish stenting me up as too much to do in one go apparently. 7 stents totalling 17cm later and that was me done and dusted and pensioned off. I then got pericarditis which put my recovery back a few months but was starting to do some exercises again when a previous hernia popped out again. 7 months on waiting list not able to do much again.

Life is very chilled now and no way im going back to work.

The surgeon “nicked” something reminded me of when I had my heart attack, as related in post # 17.
I walked into Casualty on my own steam, and they told me to take my shoes off and lie on a stretcher, next thing I was out like a light, but someone took the opportunity to nick my shoes!

Just going by the pattern that nearly all living things go to great lengths to stay that way. We all know heaven is a crock of ****, surely? It's a story to scare children and idiots to comply :p

That’s why at funerals, when the vicar/priest says, “He/she has gone to Heaven”, I always think, Jeez, it must be standing room only up there.

Soldato
Yes but am getting out today I have an enlarged heart will be on drugs for the rest of my life. I suppose the days of pill popping in raves will help me take them everyday. :p

Itchy
You are worrying me -- 20 yrs ago my Doc rang me about some neck X-rays and said it was as we thought - Oh and by the way your heart is enlarged :eek::eek: - Next morning I rang the boss and asked for the redundancy package - - Been retired since and when I had the heart checks they said there was nothing wrong but it's too big for your body. Touch wood I have been fine barring blood pressure pills.
Have to admit everything is much harder to do these days especially in the last 2 years.

I hope they have sorted you out and you get loads more years out of your heart. - If I last out 8 more days I will have hit 75 :cool:

Soldato
OP
Maybe the rave pills caused this condition?

So what was it like, intense pain, feeling of asphyxiation, what else?

Like a harpoon in to my chest, am still alive but sleeping with a heart monitor is like sleeping with a Walkman have to go back tomorrow so they can get the readings from the sony Walkman lol not sure if I can carry on with it.

Associate
Strange how it affects everyone differently.
I'm typing this from a hospital bed waiting to be let out. I was woken at 5.15 am Friday morning in a pool of sweat with an ache in throat like something was stuck in it.There was little pain but felt sick, sweating, dizzy.
Wife called the gdocs who confirmed heart attack. Taken to local hospital and within 30minutes had 2 stents put into an artery.
Have felt pretty much OK since the op. Got the echo scan of heart today and doc said there was minimal damage and arterys are working OK so being allowed home today sometime after they sort my meds out.

Soldato
Strange how it affects everyone differently.
I'm typing this from a hospital bed waiting to be let out. I was woken at 5.15 am Friday morning in a pool of sweat with an ache in throat like something was stuck in it.There was little pain but felt sick, sweating, dizzy.
Wife called the gdocs who confirmed heart attack. Taken to local hospital and within 30minutes had 2 stents put into an artery.
Have felt pretty much OK since the op. Got the echo scan of heart today and doc said there was minimal damage and arterys are working OK so being allowed home today sometime after they sort my meds out.
Sorry to hear, hope you make a good recovery. How old are you if you don't mind me asking? And what's your lifestyle like?

Soldato
Silverblack also ? wow glad they could help so fast

If I last out 8 more days I will have hit 75 :cool:
Congrats

I called the Public Carriage Office, and they said that my taxi driver licence would be suspended, until a cardiologist signed me off as fit to drive.
Three months later, subsequent to a cardiogram, and a three minute test on a treadmill, I got my badge and taxi licences back.
I had to have the treadmill test every three years after that, but was fit enough to retain my taxi licence until I eventually decided to quit driving my taxi.
All the best OP, just be prepared to get mugged off by insurance companies if you want holiday insurance in future.

I know stress is a big deal with this kind of thing, glad you got past it. Hope OP gets better now he knows to be careful also, in theory we should all be a bit more careful then we are and avoid pointless stress, etc

Last edited:
Soldato
As far as I know not had one, heart attacks can vary a lot in severity, mild ones can happen without you realising.

Hope you improve and it doesnt affect you too much mentally as its that kind of thing that makes you realise you mortal.

Man of Honour
I know stress is a big deal with this kind of thing, glad you got past it. Hope OP gets better now he knows to be careful also, in theory we should all be a bit more careful then we are and avoid pointless stress, etc

Actually I wasn’t surprised when the cardiologist said that the stress of driving a Black Cab was almost certainly the only contributory factor that he could think of, although I never felt stressed when working.
He said that I certainly didn’t fit the profile for someone being susceptible to a heart attack, I was in the right height/weight ratio, I eschewed fatty or fried foods, took a 30 minute walk every day, and was quite choosy in my diet.
Que sera sera I guess.

Associate
Sorry to hear that. I was thinking something like this was going to happen to me. Put on a bit of weight during the last year. Late night in bed i would get acid reflux and palputations. The latter i put down to me vaping so much. To sort the weight issue i changed my diet it was mostly junk anyway and they have gone altogether. But i got to googling stuff and it set me into panic mode. Dr Google tssk.

I am only 36 so hopefully its nothing. Haven't been to the doctors in over 15yrs though.

Soldato
If you can make lifestyle changes to reduce the chance of it happening again, do it. Being alive is pretty damn spiffing compared to the alternative

Death is nothing to worry about, I was dead for 13.5 billion years before all this and it was fine. It's the people left alive and dealing with it that scares me. Also a poor quality of life after something major like a stroke.

Back
Top Bottom